Bicycle gasoline motor conversion

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

<SLV>

Big Eyed Bug
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
I just picked up a bicycle on FB Marketplace for $50 to use as the basis for a motorbike conversion. It is an oddball of a bike -- Trek Lime Lite (Circa 2008 or so). Didn't really know much about it until I got it home (I just liked the clean look for a starting canvas for the build, it is an aluminum frame, and Trek has a good reputation). Come to find out, it is has an electronically controlled 3-speed automatic transmission. The front wheel hub has a magneto that powers a small "computer" (PLC, sensors, actuator) under the crank. The computer then controls a three-speed planetary gearbox in the rear hub via cable.

It hadn't been ridden in 7 years, so I cleaned it up, aired the tires, and took it for a ride. The automatic transmission is actually quite slick. There is a 5 position adjustment on the side of the computer where you can change the shift points. I have it set on position 4 because I prefer pushing harder on a slower rotation.

Anyway, I am planning on picking up a 100cc 2-cycle motor conversion kit from Ebay for about $120. Because I want to style the bike to evoke some of the look of the very early motorized bicycles, I have opted for the black motor kit.

Aesthetically, I have inverted the handlebars and ordered new vintage-style handgrips. I am going to replace the chain guard with a black painted steel chain guard and add a pair of black painted steel fenders. I also inverted the seat bracket to lower the seat another inch an cut 1.5 inches off the seat post receiver to get it as low as possible. Going to tweak the look with a bunch of little things like removing reflectors and decals/stickers and polishing aluminum parts on my buffing wheel.

No rush to get this done. Might take all winter for all I know. But I just wanted a little project to tinker on. When I get it done I might try to flip it for a profit so I can do another similar bike build.

Original Picture.jpg

Motor Kit.jpg

Fender Kit.jpg

Chain Guard.jpg

Grips.jpg

Headlight.jpg

A banana seat? That will be a PITA for sure!

Here are a couple photos since reversing the handle bars, removing the reflectors, and lowering the seat as low as it will go. I also took the rubber covers off the chrome hub caps. They are a nice touch. Thinking I should get some stainless steel pedals to replace the plastic ones.

Going to have to experiment with heat and/or solvents to figure out what takes off the decals without damaging the paint. Need to paint the computer cover black.

Waiting for a crank removal tool to come in the mail so I can remove the rest of the plastic chain guard.

I was surprised to find out that this seat is quite comfortable.

Bike progress 1.jpg

Bike Progress 2.jpg

Maybe these classic "rat trap" pedals...

Pedals.jpg

Honestly, a small dirt bike or scooter would be more satisfactory.

I have an excellent "mountain" bike I bought cheap at a pawn shop (which needed serious repairs to the gear shifting equipment) and a dirt bike. I could have bought, for the same money, another bike at that pawn shop with a motor attached...but, why bother? My Yamaha gets gas mileage as good. The mountain bike is featherweight to pedal and actually more practical on our congested streets. I can park right in front of any business.

A motorized bicycle, without suspension, with a crudely-miniaturized kit-style motor, won't be very satisfactory as a bicycle or motorcycle.

Just my opinion...

Back
Top Bottom