Homemade Juice Wine & Cider

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Years ago, I experimented a couple of times with natural/pressed (not pasturized or filtered) apple juice, Fleishman's active yeast (I think I used one packet) and raisins. No hydrometer. No cheesecloth. Drank maybe 1/6 of the bottle before adding yeast and raisins (so it had a pocket of air to work with). Opened the cap/lid periodically to release CO2 and let O2 in. I seem to remember letting them ferment for at least 24 hours. I don't remember how it tasted. I'm not sure if that's because of the alcohol or because the taste was forgettable.

I think the cheesecloth with lid puncture sounds like a better system. I'll have to check my local stores to see if any sell wine yeast. Maybe I'll experiment again. :)

I used wine yeast and made grape, guava, filtered and ungfitered apple. Also used vapor locks. They are bubbling away as I type.

I made 5 gallons of plum wine back in 1977. It was potent!

I suggest getting one of these handy dandy airlocks

61Ojiwa8MxL._AC_SX679_.jpg

It lets the gas out automatically - no muss, no fuss.

The home brew companies sell them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
When I made my batch I had an old gas stove. The one with the pilot light on top?

I put the 'glass' carboy on top of the stove and the pilot light was just enough heat to keep it cooking.

"Cooking" means "warm" because you don't ever want to overheat and kill the yeast.

It's hard to find a glass carboy these days, but they still exist.

I still have a bag of corks and labels, an airlock and the hydrometer in a box.

The individual guava, grape and black cherry wines and cider are still fermenting after 7 days. I used high quality wine yeast + sugar.

I also made some berry liquor from blue, black, ras & strawberries plus a few grapes. Added 1/3 cup sugar and filled 2x1qt ball jars to the top with Texas vodka.

20230418_171816.jpg20230418_171707.jpg

Sexy bubblers. Mine just looked like little pots with lids that lifted.

1681981017543.png
Alas, I dinnae cannae touch alcohol nae muir.

Nailed the hard cider. Of course I used Martinelli's apple juice which is the gold standard as a base.

I also nailed the homemade Grand Marnier. It's about 90% of the genuine liquor, but delicious nevertheless.
20230615_143605.jpg

<<envy>>

I cannot touch alcohol.

Late PS: The Grand Marnier should be sipped straight. It's both dense and crisp. <-- That's what some taster big shot wrote.

Last edited:
Got a 3 beer buzz from 2 glasses of red. Made from Welch's grape juice.20230616_110017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom