Silver Demand Drivers

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Texas saw that $350 Million solar field destroyed by hail. That was approx, lets say 130 to 150 mg / cell. Of course they don't define what each cell is but we'll have to assume. They do say that current cell output is ~4.7 Watts. So we can use that number.

So 350 MW / 4.7 Watts = about 74.5 million cells x 140 mg/cell = 10,425 grams of silver. So that hail storm destroyed panels with approx 325,000 ounces of silver. About 10 tons of silver. Ok then. I'd take it.

Texas saw that $350 Million solar field destroyed by hail. That was approx, lets say 130 to 150 mg / cell. Of course they don't define what each cell is but we'll have to assume. They do say that current cell output is ~4.7 Watts. So we can use that number.

So 350 MW / 4.7 Watts = about 74.5 million cells x 140 mg/cell = 10,425 grams of silver. So that hail storm destroyed panels with approx 325,000 ounces of silver. About 10 tons of silver. Ok then. I'd take it.
the question is was the silver effectively destroyed? .....of will it be recovered and fed back into the system

Solar panels are not recycled. It's not economical at $25 silver. Not sure where it might but they haven't even developed the process or science as far as I can tell.

Noticed a math problem above. It says 10,425 grams and the math was right but that should be label 10,425 kg of silver.

I went back and revisited Ronan Manley's report (cited in post #9) to compare his numbers against the latest data.

Update:
  • LBMA - As at end March 2024, ... There were also 25,612 tonnes of silver ... SLV report for 11 April claims 334.8 moz vaulted in London. That leaves a total of 568.6 moz of silver in the London vaults not owned by ETFs. This compares to 595.87 moz reported at the end of January.
  • COMEX - As of April 10, 291 moz registered + eligible - 103.1 moz owned by SLV = 187.9 moz not owned by ETFs. This compares to ~173 moz reported at the end of January.
  • SFE/SGE - As of April 11 (roughly - SFE is exact, SGE number is from week of April 1-5), 2,530,760 kg or 89.2 moz. This compares to 78.5 moz reported at the end of January.

The west has roughly 756.5 moz vaulted at LBMA + COMEX not owned by SLV. Total global including China is ~845.8 moz

The LBMA is down ~1000 tonnes (35.27 moz) from end of January. SLV lost about 8.7 moz.

The COMEX is up 15 moz from end of January. SLV is about the same for the New York vault.

On the heels of 2022’s record use of silver in industrial applications, a new record high was set in 2023 at 654.4 million ounces (Moz). Ongoing structural gains from green economy applications underpinned these advances as they did in 2022. Higher than expected photovoltaic (PV) capacity additions and faster adoption of new-generation solar cells raised global electrical & electronics demand by a substantial 20 percent. At the same time, other green-related applications, including power grid construction and automotive electrification, also contributed to the gains.

Overall, silver demand exceeded silver supply in 2023 for the third consecutive year, resulting in a structural market deficit of 184.3 Moz.

I have not checked his work, but Bix says the Silver Institute is fudging numbers.

I mean Bix couldn't possibly have thought they'd do anything but Lie, cheat, and Steal. It is nice he is showing us how in our face they do it and no one calls them out.

Those are very Spot on lyrics. Thought we might need the actual song though.

GLYDOCaWsAAwcA9

thank you India!

Back
Top Bottom