ATM Software Flaws Left Piles of Cash for Anyone Who Knew to Look

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score
There is a grand tradition at the annual Defcon security conference in Las Vegas of hacking ATMs. Unlocking them with safecracking techniques, rigging them to steal users' personal data and PINs, crafting and refining ATM malware and, of course, hacking them to spit out all their cash. Many of these projects targeted what are known as retail ATMs, freestanding devices like those you'd find at a gas station or a bar. But on Friday, independent researcher Matt Burch is presenting findings related to the “financial” or “enterprise” ATMs used in banks and other large institutions.

Gee, maybe all this online money-management isn't such a nifty idea.

I've never had my pocket picked - except once, when a robber-mugger was trying to maneuver me into a safe-for-him zone. I called his bluff, and I won. I kept the cash, he ate the gravel, face-down.

To do that, he had to get a gun in California - a lot harder than getting an online hacking kit or brute-force number-cruncher. And there would never have been a mystery what happened to the contents of my wallet.

Just sayin'. I weary of hearing of all these "security problems" and "data breaches." And all the money saved by mega operations like Las Vegas hotels, can be lost in five days of having the network software down.

Back
Top Bottom