Batteries are good mmkay

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

That wouldn’t be lead acid batteries now, would it
Lithiums are not reallly the future are they 🙈

Fire at Lithium-Battery Factory Kills at Least 22 in South Korea

The country’s president urges upgraded safety measures to address chemical-induced blazes​

SEOUL—One of South Korea’s deadliest chemical fires led its president to call for improved industrial safety measures, after at least 22 people were killed at a lithium-battery factory.

Firefighters battled for hours to bring the blaze under control after it broke out Monday morning at a building in a factory complex in the city of Hwaseong, about 30 miles south of Seoul. Video of the fire showed smoke billowing from the factory, as well as explosions. Lithium fires can be particularly challenging for firefighters to battle because they are difficult to extinguish and release toxic gases.

Authorities haven’t determined the cause, but a single battery cell appeared to have caught fire, triggering a series of blasts, said Kim Jin-young, an official with the Hwaseong Fire Department. About 35,000 lithium-battery cells are believed to have been stored on the factory’s second floor, where workers had been carrying out battery-quality checks and packaging procedures, he said.

Of those who died, 20 were foreign workers, including 18 from China, one from Laos and one unidentified person, the fire department said. At least eight others were injured. One person was still missing late Monday.

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol visited the site of the fire on Monday evening, calling for a thorough investigation into the cause and comprehensive measures to deal with chemical-induced fires that are hard to extinguish using conventional methods. He also urged steps to prevent similar incidents from occurring.

The factory is owned by Aricell, a South Korean company that makes lithium batteries used mainly for running smart-grid electricity networks and military equipment. Aricell couldn’t be reached for comment.

The fire began at roughly 10:30 a.m. local time and was controlled by about 3 p.m. Monday. Firefighters said rescue operations were initially hampered by the risk of additional explosions.

The lithium batteries made at the Aricell factory differ from lithium-ion batteries, which are used in a range of consumer products, such as electric vehicles, laptops and cellphones. Batteries such as the ones made at the Aricell factory are made using lithium metal and designed for one-time, prolonged use. Lithium-ion batteries, which use lithium compounds to facilitate the movement of lithium ions, are made to be rechargeable.

Lithium metal can store large amounts of energy, but can be highly explosive when exposed to air and moisture, making it critical that the production occurs in a strictly controlled environment, said Shin Dong-wook, a materials-science and engineering professor at South Korea’s Hanyang University. If the battery’s casing becomes damaged, the lithium can be exposed to air, causing an intense heat reaction that leads to a fire, he said.

Lithium-battery fires, mainly those involving lithium-ion batteries, have been a growing problem in the U.S. and around the world, and an issue that battery manufacturers across the industry have long grappled with.

Makers of batteries that use lithium metal usually take caution in the design and manufacturing process, said Shin. If made properly, the risk of an explosion should be reduced over time as the battery’s energy is drained. Lithium-ion batteries are at risk of causing a fire when being used or charged improperly, he said.

----------------------------------

https://www.wsj.com/world/asia/fire...-22-in-south-korea-36c6bf6c?mod=hp_lista_pos1

Seriously,
Ithium cells are not safe for most of their applications and more spontaneous fires are happening every day .
How long before insurance companies refuse to cover ?

Remember those early laptops ‘venting with flame ‘ ?
Think some airlines had regs regarding laptops on planes …….

A friend who rebuilds e-cycle batteries was swapping out poorly performing lithium pencils in a pack and accidentally shorted something. It was getting hot so he put it outside on some timber decking and on a hunch called the fire brigade. . They were there in under 10 minutes but the battery and timber decking was already on fire by the time they arrived. So they did whatever they now do for battery fires and it ended up in a bucket of water. Their advice was to leave it there and keep the water topped up for a few days. He took it out of the water three months later and it started to cook off all over again . He is now verrry cautious regarding battery management as there’s always thousands of £’s worth of e-bikes in his shop and his insurance is not cheap .
Remember that car ferry that went up in flames due to an e-vehicle venting with flame ? I recall watching a video of the brand new e- cars being towed off the hulk and placed in their entirety in a jumbo skip full of water before being removed still in the skip .

Seriously,
Ithium cells are not safe for most of their applications and more spontaneous fires are happening every day .
How long before insurance companies refuse to cover ?
Broadbrush. Are different type of lithium cells. LFP batteries are very safe.

giphy.webp

One wonders how people spontaneously combust...?

My neighbors car caught fire last week while it was recharging at home. Heat and humidity have been high in FL.

Randall Cobb, family escape after Tesla charger causes house fire: ‘Lucky to be alive’​

By Social Links forRyan Glasspiegel
Published June 26, 2024

NFL wide receiver Randall Cobb and his family survived a house fire that apparently started with their Tesla charger in their garage.

Cobb’s wife, Aiyda, revealed details of the harrowing blaze on her Instagram story.

“We are lucky to be alive,” she wrote.

“The Tesla charger caught on fire in the garage late last night and quickly spread. We got out of the house with nothing but the clothes on our back and no shoes on our feet. I’ll explain more later but posting this in case I miss any appts, calls, texts, meetings. Thank you GOD.”

Cute, driving around a a bed full of explosives. And recharging them everyday. Sounds like fun.

That was a real hot fire, some of the steel has actually melted/deformed. :unsure:

The weather guy on my local news station does a segment every week (maybe every other day - not really sure on the frequency) where he showcases and rates different survival gear products he's tested (presumably for the aftermath of natural disasters though he uses a lot of prepper talk when does the segments). Yesterday he showcased an electric generator capable of powering the whole house (via an inverter connection at the breaker box). This was a battery the size of a gas powered generator and weighed 113 lbs. When I saw it, my very first thought was - no way am I going to store something like in my house/garage/shed and risk a fire.

The weather guy on my local news station does a segment every week (maybe every other day - not really sure on the frequency) where he showcases and rates different survival gear products he's tested (presumably for the aftermath of natural disasters though he uses a lot of prepper talk when does the segments). Yesterday he showcased an electric generator capable of powering the whole house (via an inverter connection at the breaker box). This was a battery the size of a gas powered generator and weighed 113 lbs. When I saw it, my very first thought was - no way am I going to store something like in my house/garage/shed and risk a fire.
Only 113lbs? My batteries weigh close to 300lbs and I have 25 of them. 😝

^^^ wow! That's terrible. What a horrible way to go.

Here's more info on the incident.
It happened in China in 2021. The guy was severely burned, and died from his injuries 28 days later.

Those cheap Chinese batteries will get'cha.

Edited to add: even if ya can't read that link, it contains lots of other pics/vids of batteries exploding near people.

Also, the vid posted above of the actual incident, is the short version.

Last edited:
^^^ wow! That's terrible. What a horrible way to go.

Here's more info on the incident.
It happened in China in 2021. The guy was severely burned, and died from his injuries 28 days later.

Those cheap Chinese batteries will get'cha.

Edited to add: even if ya can't read that link, it contains lots of other pics/vids of batteries exploding near people.

Also, the vid posted above of the actual incident, is the short version.
Wow! That page is FULL of batteries blowing up!

Wow! That page is FULL of batteries blowing up!
Nutz, ain't it? That's why I posted that link, for everyone to see those. ...and I think most of those are from China

Makes me wonder if with the proliferation of rechargeable consumer devices available, if at some point in the future as the devices age and get tossed in drawers and forgetton, if we won't start seeing an increasing number incidents like those.

July 26, 2024 08:18 AM

Umicore halts construction of $2.7B EV battery materials plant in Ontario​

Umicore says it will delay construction spending on the site pending the outcome of an ongoing review of its business​

David Kennedy

Umicore has slammed the brakes on its $2.76-billion battery materials plant in Eastern Ontario as it continues an ongoing review of its business amid “substantially” scaled-back expectations for the electric-vehicle market.

paywall

Back
Top Bottom