Beryl

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Was originally estimated to hit Mexico just south of the Rio Grande, but it took a right turn over the Yucatan Peninsula and is now going to hit Matagorda Bay or Freeport and then proceed due north to Houston.

I was expecting to get maybe an hours worth of rain from it originally. Now we are facing tropical storm or possibly hurricane force winds tomorrow morning. Living on the Gulf Coast is an adventure.

Weren’t they saying this was going to be the worse hurricane in the history of mankind? Category 99+ because of Global Warming™?

Heck if you really want to track hurricanes Tropical Tidbits is the goto for that.

Good luck with the Hurricane......we have Hay to make were waiting for Beryl to pass us with its rain the next couple of days

Edit to add: If interested I just put up a live stream in the shortwave radio thread.

Last edited:

Beryl Clears Texas Shipping | Ports of Corpus Christi and Houston Close | Ships Evade the Storm​

Jul 7, 2024 #supplychain #beryl #tankers

In this episode, Sal Mercogliano - a maritime historian at Campbell University (@campbelledu) and former merchant mariner - discusses the impact of Beryl as it makes landfall in Texas and its impact on shipping and the ports of Corpus Christi and Houston.

7:56

- National Hurricane Center https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- Ports Along Texas Coast Close As Tropical Storm Beryl Approaches https://gcaptain.com/ports-along-texa...

Power has been knocked out to more than 2.5 million customers in Texas as Hurricane Beryl slams the state with powerful winds and torrential rain.

ABC Houston station KTRK briefly lost power in its newsroom Monday morning.

more

Other than some bands, looks to have pretty much cleared H town.

Oh my. We finally got power back.

Woke up this morning around 6am and there was no power. It went out around 3am. Wind was howling and rain was heavy. From what I gather, the eye of the storm passed by fairly close and we were on the dirty (east) side of it, so we got the worst of the wind.

Mature (~30 years old) Live Oak in my front yard dropped two 10-12' branches (safely on the ground). There is a 3rd branch broken but still hanging sadly from the tree. We lost one section of our back yard fence and one downspout from our gutters was laying in our front flower bed (fully intact and not twisted/bent, so I should be able to hook it back up later).

My veggie garden in the back yard got wrecked. Frames and stuff were blown all over. Scotch Bonnet pepper plant looks completely unscathed, however, and has 4-5 peppers ready for harvest. That plant is going strong.

I got our generator out of the shed and tried to crank it up, but that was a no go. It didn't even come close to ignition. I'm guessing the fuel line is gunked up even though I had tested it (run it) a year ago. I was getting a bit concerned that we might not have power this evening and food in the fridges/freezers might spoil. 13 hours without power isn't too bad all things considered.

We also lost cell phone reception (5G internet was a no go). I guess the closest cell towers were knocked out. My son and I drove over to check on my brother (lives about 15 minutes away) and he was also very lucky with just a few tree branches lost and no major damage. On the drive, we saw a lot of fences blown down and an unbelievable amount of tree debris everywhere. Tree debris in every yard and every street. There were tree branches broken off of almost every mature tree in the area and many mature trees were just blown over (roots pointing to the sky).

Neighbor across the street from my brother had a Live Oak branch that was about 2' in diameter break. The branch had grown over the roof of the house, but because of the direction of the wind, the branch had been bent backwards towards the street, broke and fell onto the trunk of the tree. It was gnarly to look at and I would have taken a picture if I weren't concerned about my cell phone battery power. That huge branch is going to be a huge PITA to chop up and remove.

I spent about 3 hours cleaning up the debris from my front yard and I still have the two large branches to break down, but they will have to wait for another day. My lower back is telling me I'm done for today.

I seem to recall there were a few members here also in the Houston area. I hope y'all made it through without trouble.

Woke up this morning around 6am and there was no power. It went out around 3am. Wind was howling and rain was heavy. From what I gather, the eye of the storm passed by fairly close and we were on the dirty (east) side of it, so we got the worst of the wind.

Mature (~30 years old) Live Oak in my front yard dropped two 10-12' branches (safely on the ground). There is a 3rd branch broken but still hanging sadly from the tree. We lost one section of our back yard fence and one downspout from our gutters was laying in our front flower bed (fully intact and not twisted/bent, so I should be able to hook it back up later).

My veggie garden in the back yard got wrecked. Frames and stuff were blown all over. Scotch Bonnet pepper plant looks completely unscathed, however, and has 4-5 peppers ready for harvest. That plant is going strong.

I got our generator out of the shed and tried to crank it up, but that was a no go. It didn't even come close to ignition. I'm guessing the fuel line is gunked up even though I had tested it (run it) a year ago. I was getting a bit concerned that we might not have power this evening and food in the fridges/freezers might spoil. 13 hours without power isn't too bad all things considered.

We also lost cell phone reception (5G internet was a no go). I guess the closest cell towers were knocked out. My son and I drove over to check on my brother (lives about 15 minutes away) and he was also very lucky with just a few tree branches lost and no major damage. On the drive, we saw a lot of fences blown down and an unbelievable amount of tree debris everywhere. Tree debris in every yard and every street. There were tree branches broken off of almost every mature tree in the area and many mature trees were just blown over (roots pointing to the sky).

Neighbor across the street from my brother had a Live Oak branch that was about 2' in diameter break. The branch had grown over the roof of the house, but because of the direction of the wind, the branch had been bent backwards towards the street, broke and fell onto the trunk of the tree. It was gnarly to look at and I would have taken a picture if I weren't concerned about my cell phone battery power. That huge branch is going to be a huge PITA to chop up and remove.

I spent about 3 hours cleaning up the debris from my front yard and I still have the two large branches to break down, but they will have to wait for another day. My lower back is telling me I'm done for today.

I seem to recall there were a few members here also in the Houston area. I hope y'all made it through without trouble.
i always put a splash of stabilizer in the gennys fuel tanks and then run them dry ....figure the stabilizer will catch any fuel residue that might be in lines after running dry etc.......

glad you got your power back quickly ...that can get serious quickly.....probably will be going on n off for several days as they do repairs ...at least thats how it goes here

we have 3 freezers + the Fridge......power outages can be a issue LOL

Just curious what brand of genny and size vs what you are powering?

I'm of the mind using a smaller genny and swap it out with the other appliances as needed. Also dual fuel (propane/petrol) is the way to go.

All in all , sounds like you came through that pretty well.

Just curious what brand of genny and size vs what you are powering?

I'm of the mind using a smaller genny and swap it out with the other appliances as needed. Also dual fuel (propane/petrol) is the way to go.
if your asking me ....i have a whole host of gennys ...house is on a automatic one on propane 17kw

but have a 3kw inverter one.......4.5kw cheapie.....a 6.5kw inverter....and a portable welder one......and a tractor pto one .....

Hurricane Beryl Bashes Texas coast - Houston Metro​

07-08-2024 Houston, TX - Significant Flash Flooding Footage Storm Chaser Boat​

this is why I live at 7,060ft

07-08-2024 Galveston, TX - Hurricane Conditions, Neighborhoods Inundated With Surge​

Back
Top Bottom