Disable Windows 11 feature: Recall

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
If you haven't read about it yet, Recall is an AI feature coming to Windows 11 Copilot+ PCs. It's designed to let you go back in time on your computer by "taking images of your active screen every few seconds" and analyzing them with AI, according to Microsoft's Recall FAQs. If anyone other than you gets access to that Recall data, it could be disastrous.
As Microsoft explains, "The default allocation for Recall on a device with 256 GB will be 25 GB, which can store approximately 3 months of snapshots. You can increase the storage allocation for Recall in your PC Settings. Old snapshots will be deleted once you use your allocated storage, allowing new ones to be stored."

This is worse than keylogging! Recall isn't just recording what you type, it's recording everything you're doing, with photo evidence, every three seconds.
There are a few ways you can protect your privacy from Windows Recall, but the obvious, and most effective one will be to disable it outright. As the saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." You're better off not having this stuff stored on your device in the first place.

WTF would anyone want that on their computer?

Anything that a user would want to document for themselves, can already be done with bookmarks and screen shots.

The thread should be re-titled to:

DISABLE WINDOWS 11.
Load up your favorite flavor of Linux.

I'm sitting here with a cheap Asus laptop, I bought for $175 at a pawn shop. Unremarkable except for 20gb of memory - probably some kid bought it for a gaming console, and gave it up. It was about nine months old.

It runs Mint just fine. There's issues, but nothing like the hassle of turning off Billy Gates' spyware, and worrying about whether you caught it all. The huge memory makes videos no problem.

I just run this thing with it stuck in my bookshelf - my desktop monitor, wireless keyboard. The hard-drive is solid-state, so I don't have to worry about dropping it while running, or keeping it flat.

But, point is, even computers that are marginal with Windows Bloat as an OS, do fine with Linux.

I already run Linux on pretty much every machine at home; it's the business machines that need to run a severely stripped out version of Winblows 10 (I refuse to install 11).

Thats a bit...
I figure it was a kid, probably a new gamer who knew he needed memory but didn't understand processor speed. So he maybe special-ordered this wafer-thin laptop from Asus, and it didn't work out.

Or he changed his mind, and it got wholesaled.

I like it, though. Very slim, aluminum case, and no fan. Or no fan I can hear, unlike my old Toshiba laptop that has a Hoover motor in it.

Or no fan I can hear, unlike my old Toshiba laptop that has a Hoover motor in it.
I have an old Sony with that Hoover motor in it...

SSD's really don't require a fan... and the processor probably has a huge heat sink on it.

I have an old Sony with that Hoover motor in it...

SSD's really don't require a fan... and the processor probably has a huge heat sink on it.

True, but if the thermal paste between said heatsink and the CPU has dried out, not even a Dyson can keep it cool.

True, but if the thermal paste between said heatsink and the CPU has dried out, not even a Dyson can keep it cool.
...Planned Obsolescence.

That will probably be what kills this laptop.

If the battery doesn't wear out or catch fire, first. First thing I learned, when I was shopping for this one: You can no longer get a laptop with a removable battery, or easy access to the memory or HD. Nope, it's all sealed in there. Soldiered in, in many units, my repair guy says.

So when they fail, it's garbage.

That's the way the environmentally-conscious kids like it, I guess...ELECTRIC CARS! BATTERY EVERYTHING!!

Back
Top Bottom