Road Kill Dinners

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
The question of why the chicken crossed the road is of secondary importance to who gets to claim the bird's carcass if it's killed while attempting the crossing.

For a long time, the rule in a majority of the country was the government got to keep the deceased animal. State laws prohibited drivers from claiming the meat of animals killed on public roads and highways for food. Instead, ownership of the corpses defaulted to whichever agency maintained the roads, wasting countless tons of farm-fresh, slightly battered flesh to rot.

In recent years, a growing number of states have been loosening their highway harvesting bans. The Associated Press reported in 2022 that "30 or so" states now allow people to harvest roadkill. The pace of reform doesn't appear to be slowing down.

Come July, a new Virginia law allowing anyone to claim roadkill all year round will go into effect. Current law allows only the driver who the killed animal to claim the carcass, and only if they hit the animal during hunting season.

It sounds odd to me, but I live in the burbs. I guess this is more common out in the country?

It sounds odd to me, but I live in the burbs. I guess this is more common out in the country?
I know a guy...

Yeah, I really do... Lives outside of Buena Vista CO. He gets a call from the local sheriff whenever someone hits a deer-like critter and he rolls in and takes it home.

Free meat!

as previously stated ...this really only applies in practice to deer in our area ...many law enforcement individuals know people/organizations to call that will harvest the meat on a fresh deer road kill ......much is donated to shelters.........one of the local cities has a turkey processing plant and turkeys occasionally will get away and the homeless etc will harvest them LOL

giphy.webp

Deer will be the main critter this will apply to.
To me, it's strange - that anyone would object.

In various places I lived - Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and out here - you're doing the state crews a FAVOR by taking the meat. You have to call in an officer and make a report, but, that done, you have the deer. Hopefully you have a way to drive home with it.

Don't know about Ohio and New York - I was less concerned about things like that in the prosperous 1990s and early '00s. But, as I went rural, I came to learn, there was a small upside to hitting Bambi. Free meat for a month!

I bashed a Bambi in NY, after the sheriff cleared the accident, that deer and I got a ride from my neighbor. I don't care for deer so gave it to the neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom