Silver might 10x within the next 3 years

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

silver to the moon.jpg

Sounds crazy, right? Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. I'll explain my thinking and you decide...

Four Years of Structural Deficit Draining Vault Inventories​

Silver has been in a structural deficit for the last four years. Demand (mostly industrial, investment demand is fairly insignificant in comparison) has outpaced supply (mining and scrap recycling). This deficit has been running in the neighborhood of 180 to 200 million troy ounces per year.

The structural deficit is draining the LBMA + COMEX of their vaulted stocks. The run rate for the remaining vaulted stock appears to be somewhere between 2-10 years depending upon what numbers you look at and what assumptions you make about mining production (fairly fixed - ramping up production takes years), industrial demand (growing but at what rate? is it sensitive to a recession?) and investment demand (ETFs hold a lot of vaulted metal too - will folks sell or buy?).

... the market is headed for a fourth year in deficit, with this year’s shortage seen as the second biggest on record.

That’s led industrial users — which typically rely on miners for supply — to seek ounces by draining the world’s major inventories, according to Silver Bullion’s Gregersen. Stockpiles tracked by the London Bullion Market Association fell to the second-lowest level on record in April, while the volumes at exchanges in New York and Shanghai are near seasonal lows.

Over the next two years, the LBMA stockpiles may be depleted given the current pace of demand, according to TD Securities. ...

Additionally, it appears that the drain rate on vaulted silver may have been shored up by strategic government stockpiles that were depleted in FY 2021:

Fza_rL9XsAABaPu

As the stockpile is now gone, the draining of silver from LBMA + COMEX vaults since FY 2021 has mirrored the structural deficit (ie. the excess demand is now 1:1 with vault drain).

Gold Silver ratio​

Almost everyone knows the Gold-Silver Ratio (GSR) has historically been around 15:1 while in modern (fiat money) times, it has mostly bounced around between 50:1 and 80:1. If we look at the ratio of current mining production, we see:
The estimated global production of silver in 2023 amounted to 26,000 metric tons.

Approximately 3,000 metric tons of gold was produced from mines worldwide in 2023

According to those numbers, in 2023, silver was mined at a 12:1 ratio to gold. I have seen other people mention that silver is being mined at 7:1 presently. The Statista numbers likely include everything - including mining production from places like China that do not get sold on the open market. I don't know what the exact ratio is today for silver/gold production that makes it to the open market, but it seems to be less than 15:1.

Math is Hard​

If we assume that industrial demand will maintain it's pace of the last few years (that it isn't hampered by economic crisis or recession) and that the LBMA + COMEX vaulted inventory will go to zero within the next 2-3 years, it is understood that industrial demand will no longer have available vaulted supply to draw upon. There won't be any physical stock in exchange vaults for futures markets to short. All industrial demand will need to source silver from new mining supply (plus scrap refining), and there won't be enough of it.

I posit that it will be reasonable, in that environment, for the GSR to reach equilibrium with mining production. Given a spot gold price of $2,430 (as of the moment I'm writing this), a GSR of 12:1 would equate to a silver price at $202.50. A GSR at 7:1 would equate to $347.14.

Assuming that the price of gold is higher in 3 years than it is today, is it really unreasonable to think silver might hit $300+ within the next three years?

The chins can unload all their tbills in less than 5 years too. I suppose the effects will begin in 2-3 years?

“There is a notable risk of some 'reflexivity' in this thesis, as the break north of $30/oz could plausibly catalyze a substantial amount of ETF buying activity which could further erode 'free-floating' inventories on the LBMA. After all, the last viral #silversqueeze meme catalyzed approximately 110m oz of silver demand in ETFs in a few days, which would represent a -35% erosion in the free float if repeated today.

bloody hell if it made $50 I would be happy, never mind $500 ......

whats the 'dwell time' at the top of a silver squeeze ? ie what should I look for to spot any interim top caused by such an event ?

When blood has been cleaned from the streets I guess.

Silver flows getting serious?

How relevant is the pricing disparity between the east and west? I see there is 4-5 dollars difference but does it really matter? Is anyone actually taking delivery in London and shipping to China? What's the transactional costs of doing so and in what currency are they being paid?

I have no idea how to do it and I assume if it was easy then everyone would be doing it. So here I am on my computer in my LR and seeing the price difference but there is no way for me to take advantage of it and at the end of the day, the pricing is still dependent on COMEX and LBMA pricing.
Perhaps for some wealthy Chinese businesses or individuals, they can buy a million or more ounces and take advantage of the higher prices in China but for most westerners it really isn't a thing. Even if China was priced at 100 an ounce I still cant take advantage of it.
Honestly off it wasn't for the info being posted here I wouldn't even know about it. Keep in mind we are the 1% of people in the US who actually have some physical holdings and of us 1% how many even know about this information.

So, one question I have is, are the miners selling to China directly? Mines in Mx, the US and Canada as well as South America? If so I can see it being an issue for supply disruptions here in the western world. I know in China, no one is allowed to move metals outside of China. No one. That same law is not in effect here in the west but I have no idea if the miners are actually taking advantage of this. Seems like they would if they could. Then new supply would hit the exchanges. Thats when I could see prices increasing but a simple law like China has would end that as well.

Ok so as suspected it's the large players that can play that game. Everyone else is omitted.

Honestly off it wasn't for the info being posted here I wouldn't even know about it. Keep in mind we are the 1% of people in the US who actually have some physical holdings and of us 1% how many even know about this information.

It's premium content for our VIP subscribers. <ba dum pum>

Mario talks about the flow from west to east in this one. Nothing to see, better to listen in one tab, play around the forum in a different tab.

Bullion Banks Sending Physical Gold and Silver to Shanghai?​

May 30, 2024 #currency #money #power

23:19

Mario cites both Eric Yeung and Bai Xiaojun whom I've been following and whose tweets I've also posted here.

China can create a PM shortage in the US and crash the bond market at the same time.

So the arb can only be collected if I take delivery from the Singapore vault and deliver physical to the SGE ?

Does this really mean that we see a separation of price from physical to possibly 'less physical' ?

Weve talked dreamily over the years about the day the metals go 'no bid', as no one will sell the actual stuff while everyone else tries to dump paper promises .....

We could be witnessing the beginning of the PM markets moving offshore much like the auto industry did in the 1980s.

It's not like they're gonna give up w/o a fight. If they go fown, it'll be kicking and screaming.

Mario talks about the flow from west to east in this one. Nothing to see, better to listen in one tab, play around the forum in a different tab.

Bullion Banks Sending Physical Gold and Silver to Shanghai?​

May 30, 2024 #currency #money #power

23:19

More by Mario on the flow from west to east. Remember it's an opinion piece so take it fwiw and dyodd. There's a few things to see towards the end, but you can listen in one tab and play around the forum in a different tab rather than watching the entire vid.

20:41

Vids Mario mentioned:

- Former World Bank President: Big Shift Coming by Stanford Graduate School of Business

- Wolfensohn at CFR: Preparing for China's Rise

Chins are selling bonds and buying gold because it has no counter party risk. It will take 3-5 years to divest themselves.

My WAG is the FED could sell all their debt to the Social Security admin and get a return for the agency. Pretty soon nobody will buy long term debt from any nation.

Back
Top Bottom