The TikTokification of Mental Health on Campus

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

The TikTokification of Mental Health on Campus​

With all the recent coverage of the youth mental health crisis and the role of social media, little attention has been given to the way platforms like TikTok promote certain narratives about mental health—shifting not only the conversation but also the way mental health issues are actually experienced.

Young adults on college campuses and elsewhere are being persuaded to interpret their everyday lives through the lens of mental illness as algorithms target them repeatedly with ads and other content. The result is a form of “marketing” that encourages self-diagnosis and the embrace of disorders as identity by watering down the definition of mental suffering—and, paradoxically, minimizing understanding and compassion for those who are truly struggling.

Just ask the students themselves. In conversations with 19 college students and recent graduates around the country and the world, they expressed concern about their generation’s norms for discussing mental health and the way these norms disrupt their ability to cope.

“If somebody had a tough day, I think they’re more likely now to say, ‘My mental health has been rough,’ or use that sort of terminology, than they would have five years ago,” says Veronica, a recent graduate of Sarah Lawrence College. For Veronica and other college students, psychiatric terms pop up everywhere: conversations with friends, emails from their universities, and even discussions about characters in literature classes.

“I guess it’s just more ambient now,” Veronica suggests.

More:

Back
Top Bottom