True costs of EVs revealed by bombshell report out of a Texas think tank

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

So what's causing that traffic jam?

evidently a truck with a container of lithium battery's possibly overturned but it resulted in a lithium battery fire that was producing hazardous fumes that kept the roadway closed due to the fumes etc ......clift notes version 2nd hand info LOL

I used to make that trip, regularly, for years, in the 1990s.

I was on a Navy ship that was mostly in-port - a command flagship, Third Fleet. Third Fleet controls the western coasts of the Americas. So we were tied up at Coronado NAS, most of the time.

Weekends I didn't have duty, I'd pile into my Econoline panel-van and head for Vegas, baby! Leave about the time of Liberty Call (1700) and nose my ancient van into that traffic. No air conditioning, but I'd have about five gallons of water. I'd splash myself down, periodically.

Even then, the 220 miles to Vegas would take about six hours. It was like evacuation traffic - everyone fleeing LA for Emerald City, there in the desert.

Later, I was working for a contractor for the Santa Fe railroad, working on the rail line that parallels I-40. Much the same drill. We were put up in company hotels in Las Angeles, Barstow or Needles, but weekends were free. Time to bust loose.

And my last visit to Vegas ended up with my buying a $5000 Jeep YJ there, in 2003. Unbelievably-low price, now, it seems. I drove it home - which at the time was Cleveland.

Rule of thumb: You do NOT head out into that desert without WATER. And good shoes. Have a way to carry water, too - in case you have to walk a way. Check your gas. Air conditioning is optional - the Santa Fe had us working outdoors in 115-degree heat - but you need water to cover yourself with. Your cooling water need not be totally pure.

This is pure survival instincts. Only a complete @$$ would take a battery car into that horrid environment, without any plans for what happens when...what does happen, often, does happen when you're out there.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…