Woodworking project

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CiscoKid

Pirate
Benefactor
Reaction score
A while back, I purchased a bunch of 8" wide cherry boards for a large CD tower project I was doing. They come rough cut, 4/4, and so you never really know exactly what you are getting until you feed them through the planer. Well, I was running them through the planer and this highly figured board appeared. Curly cherry. I pulled it out of the pile and set it aside. I knew that it was far too good to end up as just another shelf that would never be seen.

So I made this box. 12-1/2" x 6-3/4" x 4". Hand cut dovetails, Brusso hinges machined from solid brass stock, sliding tray, ebony lift, oil and wax finish. The figure is amazing and quite 3D. It moves and shimmers as your perspective changes.

cherry4.jpg

cherry1.jpg

cherry2.jpg

cherry3.jpg

The wood is gorgeous. Nice work!

I have been musing what wood project I could have made with all the cedar and pine fencing that has been sitting free for the taking in neighborhood trash piles for weeks now. Alas, I'm not experienced with woodworking.

The wood is gorgeous. Nice work!

I have been musing what wood project I could have made with all the cedar and pine fencing that has been sitting free for the taking in neighborhood trash piles for weeks now. Alas, I'm not experienced with woodworking.

Grab all the cedar you can and make yourself some raised bed planters. If you do not have the room for raised beds, you can always build railing planters that would hang off your balcony railings. You won't be able to grow potatoes in them, but they would be fine for herbs and peppers. I made some raised bed planters out of retired oak fence boards for my wife. She has a crop of turmeric growing in them.

Here's one I made out of black walnut. This one is taller (note the additional dovetails) and has no sliding tray. My wife claimed this one for her own and she's using it as a tea box. It holds four boxes of her tea perfectly.

box10.jpg

box11.jpg

box12.jpg

Back
Top Bottom