Any HAMs playing 13 Colonies?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

foolsgold

Big Eyed Bug
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
This is the first time I tried it. For the uninitiated, it is a contest to see if you can contact (it's two way verified) the 13 HAM radio stations designated as representing the 13 original Colonies. There's three bonus station also, one in France, one in England and one in Pennsylvania.

I am using a digital mode called FT8 and have contacted all but three stations.

So far, I've contacted 2 of the 13, on ft8.
I haven't spent much time on the radio this week.

Keep in mind for performance the antenna is much more important than the radio.

I use the 3000watt version of this antenna - https://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html#8band

It's 270 feet long, so some real estate and trees (or towers) are necessary. From my location I can TX and RX around the world.

@foolsgold - what's your furthest voice contact? Do any international broadcast dxing?

@foolsgold - what's your furthest voice contact? Do any international broadcast dxing?
South America, Europe, Russia, but I have little interest in "phone" contracts. I have rag chewed with HAMs in the US, but also have little interest in doing this.

I belong to several disaster preparedness groups and we communicate regionally and nationally, this is where most of my time is spent.

These are the stations that reported hearing my FT8 signal within the last 5 minutes. Note HI and China (over the N pole)

1688832186055.png

This is one of my SWL sources. Here he's talking FT8.

I've just reached 3,000 FT8 contacts, but it's taken me 6 years!​

Jan 31, 2024

Hi there, I've used to be a massive fan of FT8 - particularly back in the days when I was an M6 and transmitting with very limited power. These days I dip in and out as the mood takes me, but over a period of about six years, the contacts build up! Here's the story...

8:22

Thanks for watching and 73.

35,567 Contacts and I not very active, as you can see. Haven't ran since early September.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 175928.png

Back
Top Bottom