Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses in Baltimore after ship strike

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

UPDATE 2 Multimedia Release: Unified Command commenced bridge wreckage removal for Key Bridge Response 2024​

Saturday, March 30, 2024

BALTIMORE – The Unified Command commenced cutting operations Saturday to remove wreckage from the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse.

Highly trained demolition crews are cutting the top portion of the north side of the collapsed bridge truss. Two crane barges, a 650-ton crane and a 330-ton crane, are actively working on scene. The removed wreckage is scheduled to be lifted and transferred to a barge this evening as daylight allows. A 230-ton land-based crane will offload and process the wreckage at Tradepoint Atlantic and will then be taken to a disposal site.

More:

In part 2 Captain Tim tries to clarify what he said / what he meant in the original vid. I'm guessing some people either didn't understand what he was saying or took what he said out of context. Happens to me here a lot (lol.)

Tim's a tow boat captain out of NYC, and in his spare time he sails around on his sailboat Paquita (getting ready to sail the world when he retires.)

15:12

Uh oh. Looks like tow boat Capt. Tim got a few things wrong. Being the good man he is he freely admits to his mistakes and corrects them in this vid.

I think the world would be a better place if people would simply own up when they were wrong instead of ignoring their mistakes or worse, claiming they were not wrong. What say you?

New Info & Corrections​

Mar 31, 2024

I do make mistakes and I really try to only speak about what I know.

7:41

Searcher, you're watching Sal/WGOWS.

He addresses that question. Rationally. Go back a couple of days.

• 3 hours ago
  • 2 min read

UPDATE 3 Multimedia Release: Unified Command continues bridge wreckage removal for Key Bridge Response 2024​

Sunday, March 31, 2024

BALTIMORE – The Unified Command continues cutting operations Sunday to remove wreckage from the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse.

Demolition crews continue to cut portions of the north side of the collapsed bridge truss. Two crane barges, a 650-ton crane and a 330-ton crane, are actively working on scene. The removed wreckage is being lifted and transferred to a barge as daylight allows. A 230-ton land-based crane will offload and process the wreckage at Tradepoint Atlantic. Every lifting operation requires engineering analysis to inform salvage operation plans.

BGE has reduced pressure of the underwater natural gas pipeline to 35psi. The pipeline spans the width of the channel and runs under the incident site. The Unified Command is continuing to coordinate with BGE to inert the pipeline to free it from hazards and risk.

Three dive teams with the Unified Command are surveying sections of the bridge and the M/V Dali for future removal operations.

A Debris Reporting Hotline has been established. If the public encounters any debris from the incident, please contact +1 (410) 205-6625

The Key Bridge Response 2024 Unified Command includes the:

U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Maryland Department of the Environment

Maryland Transportation Authority

Witt O’Brien’s representing Synergy Marine

Maryland State Police

A website with incident response information can be found at the following URL:

https://www.keybridgeresponse2024.com

The media is requested to call the Joint Information Center at +1 (410)-631-8939 for interview response inquiries and interviews.

Resources are available for businesses and individuals impacted by the Port closure:

Benefit Line for Port of Baltimore Workers: +1 (667) 930-5989

Disaster Loan Assistance: https://lending.sba.gov

The Unified Command’s operational priorities are ensuring the safety of the public and first responders, accountability of missing persons, safely restoring transportation infrastructure and commerce, protecting the environment, and supporting the investigation.

4d756b_c541c0349a9b42f9ae0ae3042a4d077f~mv2.jpg

Barge cranes are shown near the collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge on in the Patapsco River, in Baltimore, Maryland, March 30, 2024. The Key Bridge Response Unified Command priorities are ensuring the safety of the public and first responders, accountability of missing persons, safely restoring transportation infrastructure and commerce, protecting the environment, and supporting the investigation. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Taylor Bacon)

4d756b_bec38fcfab404b2eaa43bb8499145529~mv2.jpg

Responders with the Unified Command shift containment boom near the M/V Dali in the Patapsco River, in Baltimore, Maryland, March 30, 2024. The Key Bridge Response Unified Command priorities are ensuring the safety of the public and first responders, accountability of missing persons, safely restoring transportation infrastructure and commerce, protecting the environment, and supporting the investigation. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Taylor Bacon)

4d756b_0667c4f3f2bc49fc9e6174509bf34f4b~mv2.jpg

Demolition crews with the Unified Command begin cutting the top portion of the north side of the collapsed bridge into smaller sections for safe removal by crane in the Patapsco River, in Baltimore, Maryland, March 30, 2024. Salvage teams use exothermic cutting torch to systematically separate sections of the steel bridge, which will be taken to a disposal site. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Taylor Bacon)

4d756b_1a0ab222a4f54604a82b446d2c2c8617~mv2.jpg

A crewmember with the Unified Command prepares a barge for salvage operation of the north side of the collapsed in the Patapsco River, in Baltimore, Maryland, March 30, 2024. Salvage teams use exothermic cutting torch to systematically separate sections of the steel bridge, which will be taken to a disposal site. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Taylor Bacon)

4d756b_09c8e50434f84599ae00c658b07d6698~mv2.jpg

Demolition crews with the Unified Command begin cutting the top portion of the north side of the collapsed bridge into smaller sections for safe removal by crane in the Patapsco River, in Baltimore, Maryland, March 30, 2024. Salvage teams use exothermic cutting torch to systematically separate sections of the steel bridge, which will be taken to a disposal site. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Taylor Bacon)

MV Dali and the Francis Scott Key Bridge | March 31 Update & Who Pays for the Salvage?​

Mar 31, 2024
#dali #baltimorebridge #baltimore #shipping #brdigecollapse #supplychain #containerships #containerships

In this episode -Sal Mercogliano - maritime historian at Campbell University (@campbelledu) and former merchant mariner - provides an update on MV Dali and discusses the insurance ramifications of the accident.

26:24

00:00 Update on MV Dali and Key Bridge
03:36 Review of Power Outage on Dali
07:15 Dali Sitting on Gas Lines
10:18 Insurance Implications
19:08 $3.1 Billion in Insurance!

- Key Bridge Response 2024 https://www.keybridgeresponse2024.com/
- gCaptain - Baltimore Bridge Collapse https://gcaptain.com/tag/baltimore-br...
- Marine Traffic www.marinetraffic.com
- Baltimore port bridge collapse: Global ocean carriers put U.S. companies on hook for urgent cargo pickup https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...
- Dali Cargo owners face massive costs if general average is declared https://theloadstar.com/dali-cargo-ow...
- International Group of P&I Clubs https://www.igpandi.org/reinsurance/

Who pays?
How much will it cost?
Who gets the $ for scrap? There IS a LOT of SCRAP!
How much graft will be funneled off to support Ukraine/Deep State?

The impetus is to clear the channel so commerce can resume posthaste.

Key Bridge Response 2024

ABOUT THIS RESOURCE​

This is a site dedicated to the handling of Key Bridge Response 2024. All information presented here is based on the available facts surrounding the incident. For the most up-to-date information and details on the different components of the response please refer to this site. This site is maintained by the Unified Command to provide information to the public on the status of the incident and response. We will continue to keep stakeholders informed through updates on this site. If you would like to receive email updates please subscribe to the incident mailing list.

Dali size containership steering system. How it’s designed to not hit Francis Scott key bridge​

7m

NO Bridge Collapse Protection Like Sunshine Skyway​

The collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, MD in 2024 left many unanswered questions you asked concerning the lack of protection guards around the bridge, known as concrete dolphins. Here Jeff Ostroff shows you his analysis comparing Baltimore Key Bridge with the Sunshine Skyway bridge in Tampa, FL, which implemented a lot of concrete dolphin protection bumpers to protect the bridge from collapsing.
16m

Someone else wants to be part of the story.

That's compleat and udder horse schitte. Sal Mercogliano addresses that - but he might as well be addressing "facts" about Santa Claus. This is fantasy, probably woven by some Deep State strategist who wants to discredit critics of the Jab and the WEF. Make them sound like provable loons.

It's turning out not to be hard.

HOW many times need we see this? Oceanos. El Faro. That barge in Louisiana that struck a bridge piling in 1993 or so...minutes before an Amtrak train ran over the bridge, which was up but no longer supported.

And, the Maine. Sloppy handling of black powder...blew it up. No conspiracy - the conspiracy came afterwards, as the Hearst yellow press, probably working with the WH operatives of the time, concocted a Narrative that Spain put an underwater explosive into the ship.

MV Dali & Baltimore Bridge April 1, 2024 Update | New Channel, Who is in Charge & End of NTSB News​

8m

New Key Bridge Collapse Camera Angles, Truss Demo​

17m

First Boat Goes Through NEW Alt Channel | Key Bridge Collapse​

1m

This one isn't about the Dali. It's a short article by a retired Navy Capt. about how different factors play a part in some maritime mishaps, especially those that happen at night. Was going to post in the maritime thread but decided to post it here for any one interested.

Update 5 Multimedia Release: First vessel passes through temporary alternate channel around Key Bridge wreckage​

Monday, April 1, 2024

BALTIMORE – The tugboat Crystal Coast pushing a fuel barge, transited the temporary alternate channel created by the Key Bridge Response Unified Command, at 3 p.m., today and is the first vessel to use the channel since the bridge collapsed into the federal waterway on Tuesday.

The barge is used to supply jet fuel to the Department of Defense (DOD) and was transiting to Dover Air Force Base.

More:

From BI

Normally I post articles like this in the https://www.pmbug.com/threads/commodities-business-shipping.4364/ thread. Figured I'd post it here to give you a glimpse into how ship owners sometimes try to evade paying for certain things. Over the years I've heard of ships (and crews) being abandoned in ports (and sometimes at sea) by people trying to avoid paying for certain things. Sometimes it can be pretty hard to find out who actually owns a ship due to shell companies, fake names, etc. That's not the case here. Probably hear more about this on the Lloyds website.

2 ship companies are invoking a 200-year-old law to try to skirt huge legal liabilities from the Baltimore collision​

• The owner and manager of the Dali containership are seeking to limit their legal liability to $43.7 million.
  • The 95,000-ton cargo ship collided with Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge on March 26.
  • An old law could cap the companies' liability at a fraction of the overall cost, a maritime expert said.
The owner and manager of the Dali containership that collided with Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge last week are attempting to limit their legal liability through an old law.

More:

They could dredge the new channel.

Shouldn't take but a week or two vs years.

You'd think there would be 'noises' about the US scrutinizing other bridges and waterways for possible defects.... crickets.

This one isn't about the Dali. It's a short article by a retired Navy Capt. about how different factors play a part in some maritime mishaps, especially those that happen at night. Was going to post in the maritime thread but decided to post it here for any one interested.

I can vouch for that. Railroaders work on-call, 24/7, with no regard for circadian rhythms. Management is concerned with crews' having gotten their legal "rest" - eight hours since their last work. NOT with physical state.

Before I got hired, Conrail, in the early 1990s, did a circadian-rhythm study and experiment of reconfiguring of crew-calling practices. I wasn't there, and can't say exactly how it was structured; but it allowed crews to know when they'd be working - what time of day - and what came out of it was a decrease in absenteeism; a drop in minor incidents, and no major events. Crews involved gave positive feedback.

Conrail management documented it, did a full evaluation and prepared a presentation for the government and unions, and filed it all away. It was never implemented - even though even lower-level management knew it in detail. Seems the UNIONS, controlled by old heads who had other ways of avoiding work when individually they weren't up to it...they saw it as a threat to potential yearly income and to the union's power.

I have made runs standing up, to avoid falling asleep. I have been so tired...myself and crew...we dropped speed to half the track speed to allow for mistakes, telling Dispatch we had mechanical issues. I've fallen asleep while creeping a train up tight to a signal, and nearly ran it at walking speed.

I guarantee nothing will be done, as regards navigation. Not until complete societal collapse, at which point, sailing and shipping will become a whole lot more personal and localized.

William Doyle on Baltimore | CEO Dredging Contractors of America & Former Port Director​

30m

Why the Blackout & is Negligence of the Crew Suspected? | Q&A​

30m

How will the Key Bridge in Baltimore be Rebuilt?​

Interesting article from BI by Bryan Boyle (2nd mate) about losing power at sea.

My cargo ship briefly lost power at sea. Here's how merchant mariners are trained to deal with it.​

• Bryan Boyle, a YouTuber and second mate on a cargo ship, detailed how workers are trained to deal with emergencies.
  • The merchant mariner said incidents like the Baltimore bridge collapse are incredibly rare at sea.
  • Boyle said he was on a ship that lost power briefly and his training kicked in.
This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with second mate Bryan Boyle, a merchant mariner and YouTuber who has worked as a deck officer on various cargo ships for over a decade. The following has been edited for length and clarity.
I've been a deck officer for almost 12 years. I'm responsible for watching out for the safety of the crew, cargo, and the ship itself by helping navigate and maneuver the ship, as well as facilitating communications and security.

Emergency situations like the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse are rare at sea. I've never faced any major emergencies while working aboard a cargo ship, aside from a minor fire and an instance where my ship temporarily lost power.

Back in 2019, I was on a cargo ship in the North Sea. I was a second mate and assigned to keep watch from midnight to 4 a.m. Around 2 a.m., the whole ship went dark.

We had temporarily lost all power.

It can get pretty chaotic when the ship goes dark — especially if it's already dark outside. Without the lights, it's completely pitch black on the bridge, a platform on the ship where you can navigate the vessel. The darkness was followed by the chaos of all of the electronics booting back up and the engine alarm sounding.

More:

More:

The owner of the ship that collided with the Baltimore Francis Scott Key Bridge has filed a petition in federal court to restrict its amount of liability in the tragedy which resulted in the deaths of six people.

Grace Ocean Private Limited, the owner of the Dali ship, and Synergy Marine Group, the ship’s manager, submitted the filing under the Limitation of Liability Act of 1851, a piece of legislation that enables ship owners to limit their liability for certain claims to the value of the vessel and its cargo at the end of its journey.

Here's the petition:

It's rained for 3 days here in Philly. Yesterday the winds were pretty bad. Baltimore probably getting the same thing.

#dali #baltimorebridge #baltimore #shipping #brdigecollapse #supplychain #containerships #containerships

MV Dali, Baltimore and Key Bridge Update | April 4, 2024​

April 4, 2024

In this episode, Sal Mercogliano - a maritime historian at Campbell University (@campbelledu) and former merchant mariner - provides an update on MV Dali, Baltimore, and Key Bridge salvage as of Apr 4, 2024.

15:59

- Key Bridge Response 2024 https://www.keybridgeresponse2024.com/
- April 3, 2024 | Governor Wes Moore Press Conference on the Collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge https://www.youtube.com/live/eBb6-Vba...
- Commander, Coast Guard 5th District https://www.atlanticarea.uscg.mil/Our...
- Captain O'Connell Bio https://www.atlanticarea.uscg.mil/Por...
- Colonel Estee S. Pinchasin https://www.nab.usace.army.mil/About/...
- Paul Hankins, SUPSALV https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-hank...

Bridge Collapse Q&A: No Tugs? Why Dali Ship Turned? Alt Channels​

13m

Back
Top Bottom