Shortwave Listening (SWL)

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zwei Oldtimer Empfänger der Wehrmacht im Vergleich. Mehr zum Thema unter www.oe5awl.at

5:19

Ein Funk-Horchempfänger c (FHEc) Bj 1939 und ein Tornister-Empfänger b (Torn E b - Berta) Bj 1941 auf Empfang am 80 m. Amateurfunkband. Lautsprecherbetrieb mit dem seltenen LSG Fu b. Antenne war eine Windom-

A radio listening receiver c (FHEc) built in 1939 and a knapsack receiver b (Torn E b - Berta) built in 1941 on reception on the 80 m. amateur radio band. Loudspeaker operation with the rare LSG Fu b. Antenna was a Windom

Grundig Satellit 3400​

6:18

Demonstration UKW und Kurzwellenempfang auf 80 m SSB mit einer Diskussion über Coronamaßnahmen unter Funkamateuren.

Demonstration VHF and shortwave reception on 80 m SSB with a discussion about corona measures among radio amateurs.

P.C.R. receiver WWII​

Test receiver Josip Kepe - Karabaja 9a3aek

2:25

HQ-110A Demonstration​

This is cousin Franks HQ-110A that was being transported inside a POD that fell off of the carrier. The case was destroyed and the meter and clock cover were smashed. Several tubes were damaged as well. Here it is all back together thanks to a parts radio. Just finished the alignment and giving it a listen on the bench before putting it into the case. Works well and a testament to how rugged these old radios are. Incidentally the HQ-110 A plate was lost so I installed the plate from the donor HQ-110 in its place.

4:23

Got some ham traffic in this one. 3 mins.

IZ1FID Collegamento A.M. 7060 kHz Tx Lorenz Lo40K39 Rx K.W.E.a​

April 8th 2024 Solar Eclipse propagation changes might occur Shortwave and mediumwave​

Feb 26, 2024

3:38

What would be my receiver if I had to choose only 1 it would be a SDR​

Feb 26, 2024
Definitely would be a SDR, I just love the waterfall and all the features that they come with

3:49

Strange NEW Russian Military Signals Just Appeared!​

Mar 1, 2024

9:02

Interesting reading.............

Shortwave radio Why do we need to change frequencies twice a year​

Mar 1, 2024

You will see why visually with a day and night map and the changes over the months of the year

3:56

Shortwave Radio at my Off Grid Cabin in the Woods​

Nov 3, 2019

In this video we take a tour around the world brinking beer and listening to shortwave radio stations in a variety of countries. In order we listen to Voice of Turkey, Radio Exterior Espana (Spain), Deutsche Welle (Germany), Radio France Internationale, BBC (England), WINB (Pennsylvania, USA), Voice of Greece, China Radio International, Voice of Vietnam, Radio Slovakia International, Radio Romania International, Radio Habana Cuba

12:27

Russia's Newest Military Signal Is COUNTING DOWN! - But Why?​

Mar 12, 2024

10:11

Keep the shortwave flame alive you need to diversify your listening and include new types of signals​

The more you listen to a wide choice of signals and the more your radio listening will be fun to do

13:00

Shortwave radio listening and having a map and know when night and day happens is useful​

The Grayline and changing propagation through the year

10:08

Shortwave radio propagation of signals and the poles of the earth often overlooked in radio signals​

Many stations use this trick, sending their signals through the poles, makes a shorter distance and Winter and Summer changes

10:45

The often asked question about what is my favorite radio and my ever changing choices​

My favorite is what I use at the time I listen, it changes all the time.

11:31

How To Listen To Aircraft THOUSANDS Of Miles Away​

15:23

New Russian Military Signals? Or Just Illegal Bandits?​

Mar 18, 2024

8:09

US BC-348 Receiver from WW2 - having a listen on 40 metres in the evening - a superb performer!​

US Army Air Force BC-348 Receiver from WW2 - a superb performer. Using one of my 348s this evening. Video taken a monent ago. Simply superb receivers. This one has been recapped and has an internal PSU. I put a hum bucker circuit on the heaters to negate hum altogether for headphones use. I put some cathode bypassing on the final audio to massively improve the audio and converted the dimmer to a stubber tone control across the primary of the output transformer. Now such an excellent receiver to use. Love it!73 de M0IDF

2:34

Allied/Radio Shack SX-190​

Allied Radio Shack receiving Aviation Weather The antenna is an Mla-30 loop

2:23

RACAL RA-17 Receiver - one of the best all - tube communication receivers ever built.​

A short video of the classic RACAL RA-17 communications receiver widely used by militaries around the World. This is an all valve (tube) design with outstanding frequency stability thanks to the "Wadley Loop".

3:35

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@vacuumfireradio253/videos

How a radio ship and 7 men shook up Britain in 1964​

Sixty years ago this month, an aging former Scandinavian passenger ferry was being secretly equipped with a 165-foot radio mast in the privately-owned Irish port of Greenore, in Carlingford Lough, County Louth. The historic, ivy-clad Ballymascanlon Hotel in nearby Dundalk was crowded out with strangers who spent their days mysteriously working down the road at the former ferry port which – like its neighbouring railway station and one-time grand hotel – had been disused for years. Faded holiday posters and the mosaic-floored booking hall reminded the denim-clad outsiders that Greenore had – until 1951 – been a thriving rail-sea link to Holyhead in Wales.

While Swedish and British broadcast technicians were busy installing radio transmitters on the ship, others were buying up the entire stock of a small record store, and large quantities of baked beans, track shoes, and copper wire from bemused local shop-keepers.

The Dutch crew and English and Canadian disc jockeys took turns in painting the ship and building an onboard studio. Inquisitive visitors were kept away by security guards who told them it was a maritime research vessel whose tall mast would help it find deep-sea sponges! But local pubs were full of speculation about spies, smuggling and even the terrorist Irish Republican Army whose violent revival was still five years away from what became the 30-year “Troubles” across the border in Northern Ireland.

More:

Why Is Shortwave Only “the Radio of Last Resort”?​

My first car, a 1984 vintage, had a shortwave radio receiver, but I didn’t bother using it. I was young while it was old and therefore unworthy of my attention. Besides, the signal it received was mostly odd-sounding talk-radio that changed tone as I accelerated. Something to do with unscreened sparkplugs? Whatever they were. Instead, I had a huge selection of pop music available to me on the FM bands, and big plans to retrofit new dash-mounted CD player technology (which never worked)!

Nobody who ever listened to FM really prefers old analog shortwave services. Analog doesn’t have the bandwidth to provide stereo sound, and it’s subject to atmospheric distortion and (non-shielded sparkplug) interference.

Let’s be honest: People only like analog shortwave when there’s nothing else. People who live in rural areas without FM coverage; people without resources for more choice; people with authoritarian rulers, who ask what the rest of the world thinks.

I realize that a significant percentage of the world’s population are covered by these three simple classifications. But we can agree that these people deserve access to high-quality radio broadcasts, too.

More:

Why We Need “Shortwave 2.0”​

Debate about the future of shortwave broadcasting focuses on the correct observation that shortwave listening is no longer a mainstream activity in most of the world.

The future of shortwave broadcasting — “Shortwave 2.0” — will not involve any revival of those large audiences. Instead, it will be an activity of communications enthusiasts and professionals. They would comprise a reserve corps able to relay information to larger populations in their countries when newer media are blocked or otherwise become unavailable.

The beginning of the end of “Shortwave 1.0” was described in “Shortwave Broadcasting Begins Its Long Slow Fade,” an article I wrote in the 1995 World Radio TV Handbook. I noted the elimination, in the post-Cold-War media environment, of shortwave broadcasts in some languages, as well as some entire transmitting sites, e.g. Trans World Radio on Bonaire and Far East Broadcasting Company in California (KGEI). In my (then) role as audience research analyst at the Voice of America, I listed examples of declining shortwave audiences.

More:

Popular Communications

Reception with SONY ICF-5900 on March 29, 2024 in Fukushima, Japan.​

Mar 30, 2024

2:30

These video preseters are "trying" to speak over the noise of the radio/frequencies they are talking about. Annoying is how I'd describe the videos I've "tried" to listen to.

This website while a bit "cryptic" to non HAMs privides access to actual live conversations.

Transatlantic Medium wave DX: CFGO TSN, Ottawa 1200 kHz first ever confirmed reception with clear ID​

Hi there, this is my first ever confirmed reception of CFGO Ottawa, although I'm very certain I've heard them before. Long distance and transalantic MW DX never gets old!
Recorded in Oxford UK on 13/02/24 at 01:46 hrs UTC using an Icom IC-R75 and a Wellbrook ALA1530 magnetic loop antenna (outdoors) via a Bonito NTI AntennJet RF splitter.

1:37

Thanks for watching and 73.

Grundig Satellit 6000 Transistor - a quick overview of this brilliant radio - with the SSB module​

Apr 8, 2024

Hi there, I picked this up at the Harwell ARS annual radio flea market. I have to say it was a bargain and my goodness, what a great vintage radio with absolutely superb audio. Here I give a quick overview and test the plug-in SSB/CW reception module.

6:36

Thanks for watching and 73.

Back
Top Bottom