Astronomy pictures thread

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Not exactly 'pictures', but Space....

Exclusive: Elon Musk discusses Starship's 4th Flight​

1. 00:00 von braun reusability values
2. 01:00 how did Starlink do on this flight
2. 01:25 ship Starlink improvements
3. 02:00 what did flight 4 do unexpectedly well?
4. 02:45 e's take on the lil flap that could
5. 03:30 chopsticks wen?
6. 04:00 stargate construction
7. 05:40 what age / attitude is best to work at SpaceX?
8. 06:00 turnaround time goals, status
9. 07:00 gravity well troubles / broad overview
10. 9:00 value of public interest, timing
11. 9:45 children on mars?
12m

related

SpaceX's Starship Literally Melted! But It Kept Flying To A Miraculous Landing!​

Last edited:
I decided to stack some of the frames from when I was going for meteors the night before last.

MilkyWay-2024-06-29-IMG_3641S.jpg
Date: 6/29/2024
Camera: Canon Rebel T8i (modified)
Lens: 24mm f/1.4 sigma art
Exposure: 83x5sec (6min 55sec total) at f/1.4 and ISO 3200

Thanks! I'm digging the skies here but it saddens me that so few people live in areas dark enough to truly appreciate the night sky.
Me too, and I'm one of 'em.

Bortle 9-10 here. :(

Edited to add:...but there are Bortle 2 skies about an hour out of town.

Thanks! I'm digging the skies here but it saddens me that so few people live in areas dark enough to truly appreciate the night sky.
When too many people move to a dark area the ruin it.

Me too, and I'm one of 'em.

Bortle 9-10 here. :(

Edited to add:...but there are Bortle 2 skies about an hour out of town.
Sorry to hear that. My place is estimated at the darker side of bortle 4 which is as dark as I can find within ~30 minutes of work. Eventually I want to get a sky quality meter and take some actual measurements. Given the estimate my skies are better than I thought they would be.

When too many people move to a dark area the ruin it.
They need to be like me and disable the outdoor lights making the area darker by moving here.

We're about to make the move to the Bortle 2-3 site, house is just about done.
That sounds awesome. It has been almost 3 years since I have been under skies that dark.

Soon (within a couple of months I hope) the news will report the recurrent Nova. It can occur at anytime. If you want to prepare to view if watch the video below for info.

T Coronae Borealis - A Once in a Lifetime Nova Explosion!​

Finally a break from the rain reveals the smokey skies.

Captured this nice meteor last night on 2 cameras. One still and one video.

I got a Sony A7s III + a 35mm f/1.4 Sigma art lens specifically for capturing low light video. Setting up my Canon camera for stills looking at the same part of the sky allows me to find the timing of a meteor so I can find it in the several hour long video file.

Meteor-2024-07-26-C0062-60FPS-P3Z2ZP2SS.GIF

Meteor-2024-07-26-IMG_7254S.jpg
Camera: Canon EOS 850D (modified)
Lens: 24mm f/1.4 sigma
Exposure: 5sec at f/1.4 and ISO 3200

Captured a particularly beautiful meteor this morning.

The Perseid meteor shower is expected to peak around 8/12-8/13 but it is already worth looking. Last night I saw 3 really nice meteors in about 30 minutes.

I also have video of this meteor which I will add to youtube eventually.

Meteor-2024-08-01-IMG_9765S.jpg

Meteor-2024-08-01-IMG_9765-C1S.jpg
Date: 8/2/2024
Lens: Sigma 24mm f/1.4 art

Lots of sunspot groups right now.
Sun-2024-08-06-IMG_6459S.jpg
Date: 8/6/2024
Camera: Canon Rebel T8i (modified)
Lens: 100-400mm zoom lens at 400mm
Filter: Baader white light filter
Exposure: 1/2500sec at ISO 200

A couple probable Perseid meteors from this morning.

The shower is expected to peak 8/12-8/13 and is already fairly active.

More pics to process and video rendering. Expected to be clear tonight and tomorrow night. It looks like it is going to be a busy next couple days and nights for me. :cool:

I decided to set up at the South end of my property for the very open view that it offers.

Meteor-2024-08-08-IMG_3441S.jpg

Meteor-2024-08-08-IMG_3815S.jpg

Meteors I captured overnight.

Many Perseids and a good number of non-Perseids including some very slow moving ones.

A couple nice meteors from last night. It was very clear. I got up at 2:30 AM to watch and counted 36 meteors. One was about as bright as Jupiter.

Tonight's forecast looks just as good. I am going to be very tired soon with data that will keep me busy for weeks. :cool:

Meteor-2024-08-09-IMG_6557S.jpg

Meteor-2024-08-09-IMG_6659S.jpg

Here are some of the better meteors I captured overnight last night. Also have video of all of these.

Turns out the shower may be peaking tonight. Forecast doesn't look good here so I am eyeing tomorrow night.

As predicted, I am utterly exhausted. 🥱😴💤

Meteor-2024-08-10-IMG_5123S.jpg

Meteor-2024-08-10-IMG_5090S.jpg

Meteor-2024-08-10-IMG_4803S.jpg

Meteor-2024-08-10-IMG_4027S.jpg

Meteor-2024-08-10-IMG_3962S.jpg

Meteor-2024-08-10-IMG_2989S.jpg

Hey @EricTheCat - can you see the night skies like you post with your eyes from your QTH?

I don't remember the last time I saw a night sky loaded with stars. I can see the moon and occasionally some stars (the stars mostly in the winter.)

Hey @EricTheCat - can you see the night skies like you post with your eyes from your QTH?

I don't remember the last time I saw a night sky loaded with stars. I can see the moon and occasionally some stars (the stars mostly in the winter.)
Pretty much. On a good clear moonless night once dark adapted the sky is full of stars and the glow of the milky way. Can even see the Andromeda galaxy as an extended object and not just a tiny fuzzy patch like I could see from my old place.

Nice! You caught a legit fireball at about 30 seconds.

Yeah I wish X wasn't so limited. I'm a huge fan of Elon but when he encourages people to use X instead of youtube they really should allow the same kind of content youtube allows if he wants to compete.

I added a video to youtube here of the best of the meteors I captured the night before last. It's a wider full view of the vid I posted to X yesterday.

I was clouded out last night but tonight's forecast is clear and I can see signs that aurora may still be in the offering. My radio meteor detection system is still showing signs of aurora propagation.

Nice! You caught a legit fireball at about 30 seconds.

Yeah I wish X wasn't so limited. I'm a huge fan of Elon but when he encourages people to use X instead of youtube they really should allow the same kind of content youtube allows if he wants to compete.
The exposures were 15 seconds with gain at 300. Tonight I will try faster exposures and higher gain, I'll see if it improves things. An ASI664MC was used.

The exposures were 15 seconds with gain at 300. Tonight I will try faster exposures and higher gain, I'll see if it improves things. An ASI664MC was used.
Faster exposures are good for getting the faint momentary detail. I usually shoot 5 sec exposures for still sbut some do end up being cut off including any that last longer than that.

It's definitely a balance.

Back
Top Bottom