Bugging out to Other Countries

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

WARNING‼️ This is How phone Snatchers Operate in Argentina‼️😲

12:06

^^^^

We cannot have an advanced industrial economy, with a feral, violent population.

It goes one way or another, and usually to degrade to the point of a reversion to a pre-industrial, feudal, VIOLENT society. Mob rule, or rule by strongman.

EXPAT NONSENSE: Is it TRUE that Europeans Don´t TIP⁉️😲

Aug 21, 2024

16:44

I watched five minutes, and I did not find it helpful. I side with the non-US, that the price pays for every one in the staff. Bad service and excellent service should be reported to management. This question comes EVERY SINGLE TIME! Why do some service occupations expect a variable "tip" and others are expected to give estimates and stay close to them? Usually, the answer is that the business owner wants to shift the labor costs to the patrons, OUTSIDE of the agreed price.

The tip system is corrupt and unacceptable to me. I accept the evil and my only restaurant visit in the last decade, I gave my server five two dollar bills. Am I a hypocrite? Yes, I am. But I wish for a better system.

I watched five minutes, and I did not find it helpful. I side with the non-US, that the price pays for every one in the staff. Bad service and excellent service should be reported to management. This question comes EVERY SINGLE TIME! Why do some service occupations expect a variable "tip" and others are expected to give estimates and stay close to them? Usually, the answer is that the business owner wants to shift the labor costs to the patrons, OUTSIDE of the agreed price.

The tip system is corrupt and unacceptable to me. I accept the evil and my only restaurant visit in the last decade, I gave my server five two dollar bills. Am I a hypocrite? Yes, I am. But I wish for a better system.
How do you get rid of it?

When I was of the age group to take those kinds of jobs, there were country clubs that had food service, that didn't permit tipping; and one major grocer had bag-boys loading cars for customers in a loading lane. Big sign: NO TIPPING. Second big sign: HELP WANTED.

When you have entertainment venues, with personalized service - which is what table-waiting is - and males wanting to impress their dates...there will be tipping. And management will respond, by either cutting wages or just not inflating them to match the fiat-printing.

The only way to do it is to outlaw it; and then, you wind up with surly service staff.

I've visited foreign lands where restaurant staff are paid real wages and they have signs posted for visiting Americans that tipping is not appropriate/wanted/expected. Servers were slow to invisible unless you called for them. Otherwise they left you alone.

Yeah, but those foreign lands can't even raise money for their own defensive armies.

Those are what used to be called "protectorates" or "client states."

They do a lot of things that don't work: Retirement at 50; two months holiday a year, "free" medical "care" for all...the list is a long one.

Just an hour ago, I got a delivered load of medical and grocery stuff from Wally World. Not my choice; but I broke my hip and it's pinned together...cannot walk or drive for the next six weeks at least. Even Uber doesn't help, since I'd have to walk out the store carrying my crap, with crutches.

Walmart's delivery service worked well, even though I used the web page, not an app. They notified me ten minutes ahead it was coming, and the order was correct, and the driver helpful.

I have an idea what those drivers make. I'm not rich, but I can feel for some poor woman, probably a single mother, delivering other people's stuff in the evening.

Walmart's delivery page on the website has a provision for a tip. Yeah, I choked down bile, too...but assuming she got the whole amount I paid for delivery, she drove here from the store for $7.00. And she didn't have to carry the crap down a long hall - she could have begged off, and been okay by Walmart.

I got the load dropped on my kitchen counter. The only right thing to do, was add a tip.

I travel a lot and have also lived in many countries. Tipping for service works well. Some places or staff are great in foreign countries without tipping. But that can be hit and miss. I have found overall tipping makes a big difference in service received.

Just an hour ago, I got a delivered load of medical and grocery stuff from Wally World. Not my choice; but I broke my hip and it's pinned together...cannot walk or drive for the next six weeks at least. Even Uber doesn't help, since I'd have to walk out the store carrying my crap, with crutches.

Walmart's delivery service worked well, even though I used the web page, not an app. They notified me ten minutes ahead it was coming, and the order was correct, and the driver helpful.

I have an idea what those drivers make. I'm not rich, but I can feel for some poor woman, probably a single mother, delivering other people's stuff in the evening.

Walmart's delivery page on the website has a provision for a tip. Yeah, I choked down bile, too...but assuming she got the whole amount I paid for delivery, she drove here from the store for $7.00. And she didn't have to carry the crap down a long hall - she could have begged off, and been okay by Walmart.

I got the load dropped on my kitchen counter. The only right thing to do, was add a tip.

we are very rural but under 10m to a walmart supercenter.....this summer we had our grandkids for a couple of weeks and they require large quantities of perishable items such as milk etc....my gal has i think walmart plus or something like that .....so we were able to get deliveries of items like milk etc when needed at no charge, it was a huge help, saved time, fuel, dealing with travel with small children etc....i was extremely surprised and pleased with the service

Thinking about 'tipping'... In today's money, $6 is really a pittance.

Tipping is not a city in China, but even cashiers are asking for tips now.

1983, the Volcker Recession...I found myself driving a taxi in Cleveland.

Yeah, service industries, I get it. I'm lower than low...scum of the earth. It hadn't been that many years before, that the movie Taxi Driver was out.

But what got me, wasn't so much the drunks, or backseat fornicators, or wait-here-a-minute types. I worked the suburbs, nights, so I didn't have many run-offs.

It was the grocery-store runs...pack up Aunt Edith and her eight bags. It wasn't even the work with the bags, or even carrying them in.

It was the dime she'd tip me. To put it in context, at the time, McDonalds sold their basic hamburger for 50 cents.

The problem I have with that, is: Russia doesn't have a TRADITION of freedom and protecting liberty. Yeah, it's fine now - but freedom as a fleeing temporary thing, has come through nations from Argentina and Venezuela, to Cuba, Iraq, and now Russia.

Without the traditions (including, thinks I, Judeo-Christian religious traditions) it all falls apart and quickly reverts to tyranny or worse.

Yes, Russia has the Eastern Orthodox Church. It's been a "religious nation" for 25-30 years now.

Prior to that, it was an atheistic nation - forced that way at gunpoint - for EIGHTY years. And now, I understand, there are young people who've romanticized the USSR in their minds, and pine for a "return." Having no clue what it really was like.

And their technocrat superiors at the WEF are eager to help them fulfill that dream.

I wouldn't want to be in the middle of that, any more than I'd have wanted to be in Cuba to see Bautista's overthrow.

The only way to do it is to outlaw it; and then, you wind up with surly service staff.
If the staff is surly enough to send away revenue, then inform them, and fire as needed. Staff should NEVER be bad to regular customers.
I agree. But I would rather spend $13 in gas to to the closest Walmart and part with three hours of my day. That's how it is. Fifty miles. I will pay a delivery fee, but a "tip" is NO. NO! STOP THE SHIT!

I will look at the price and pay or walk away. If your business can't work without external payments, then your business is SHIT. I suggest that you try something different.

fwiw (dyodd)

Retiring abroad? Why the best, happiest places to grow older and retire are not where you’d expect.​

Those international “best places to retire” surveys typically point to warm, low-cost countries in Central and South America. But, in many ways, beautiful northern places like Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland may be even better.

That’s my conclusion after poring over the 2024 World Happiness Report, the Natixis 2023 Global Retirement Index and the Mercer CFA Institute Global Pension Index 2023, as well as speaking to their creators.

More:

It's an age thing.

Believe me, I've seen this in my own family.

My old man, who was 50-percent Clevelander, and 50-percent German...discovered, after his wartime service, New York's Adirondack Preserve.

He absolutely loved it. It had a bit of Switzerland and Austrian mountains, yet not so forbidding as the American Rockies.

In the mid-1960s, he got a lead on land he could buy up there. Keep in mind, it was HARD to buy land, because most land had been seized by the state in their early-1800s constitution adoption; and land already settled was not given clear title. Landholders were essentially deemed "squatters."

Two exceptions to this. First, there were massive tracts owned by a couple of lumber and paper companies - one became International Paper and the other, Whitney Industries (now defunct). The other exception was, the land granted to railroads and steamboat companies.

The New York Central Railroad eventually bought the regional lines running through the area - but freight wasn't a big thing there; and passenger traffic died off in the 1930s with automobiles becoming common.

By the 1960s, the new Penn Central wanted to abandon all of the Adirondack lines and property, and the old man bought an old steamboat terminal, with the structure removed (arson, before he bought it).

He had clear title to the land, and could build on it - on the foundation of the old steamboat terminal. Even put a pier out into the lake, since he would legally just be rebuilding what had been. This was important, as the APA (state agency) controlled building and development.

But, with age, he lost interest. All the old-geezer issues - cold feet, diabetes, arthritis. He didn't want to retire in the cold.

He explored moving to Florida, but a stroke settled it for him; he never made it.

Now, me, too. I loved the Adirondacks. I loved Alaska when I was up there. I have been through northern Canada...but right now, old age coming on, I want to be where it's warm, and an easy drive to the supermarket and drug store.

A bicycle path is an advantage but not a deal-breaker.

In this vid Max compares living in Singapore to living in Europe. It's not a how to, just an interesting look at the differences in the two places. Has some neat scenery and several interviews. Pretty good vid.

I tried living in Europe after Singapore (NOT Going Back)​

Sep 9, 2024 #ExpatLife #MaxChernov #Singapore

In 6 years of living in Asia, I realized that I'll always be a foreigner here, an outsider. Maybe this isn't my place? What if life in the West would be better for me? Once I tried living there; I spent 5 years in Ireland, France and the UK. It was good at the time. So… maybe I should go back? With this idea in mind, I decided to return to Europe.

The plan is to fly into Paris, rent a car, drive to Northern Italy, spend time with friends there, then head back through the south of France and Monaco, returning to Paris. On the way, I'll compare life in Asia, particularly Singapore, to life in Europe. And at the end, I'll try to figure out whether it's better to live in Europe or Asia.

32:50

TIMESTAMPS:
00:00 INTRO
00:15 Flying to Paris
01:45 Safety
03:49 Food
04:59 Best thing in France
06:17 Worst thing in France
08:15 Cost of living
11:39 Ease of legalization
13:21 I miss this in Singapore
14:05 Domestic help
15:45 Traffic
16:53 Geographic accessibility
18:18 Language
21:37 Schooling
23:04 Climate
24:33 Social life & networking
27:16 Arts, culture, vibe
29:34 Business & YouTube
31:54 Where will I live?

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@MaxChernov/videos

WATCH NEXT:
► Pros and Cons of moving to Singapore from New York: • Pros and Cons of moving to Singapore ...
► British man who fights Singapore's untold problem: • British man who fights Singapore's un...
► I picked Singapore, It didn't pick me: • I picked Singapore, It didn't pick me

I been looking at Panama, Belize and DR. I also would do 3 months in DaNang, South Thailand and Malaysia. As far as Europe goes I would look at Albania, Serbia and Croatia

I been looking at Panama, Belize and DR. I also would do 3 months in DaNang, South Thailand and Malaysia. As far as Europe goes I would look at Albania, Serbia and Croatia
How will Europe or Central America fare after the now-inevitable fall of the West?

I think, not well. The Asian countries will do better, but it will not be a good time for round-eyes.

Caucasians (and other non-Asian races) will always stand out. Thailand and Indochina have been the Americans' playground, BECAUSE DOLLARS. Once the dollar falls, and US' status falls, they are gonna turn on the outsiders.

Probably, viciously. Asians are a stoic and patient people, but when they sense it's their turn for violence, they never show mercy. Bataan, Viet Cong, kamakaze pilots...I would not want to be in their land when everything goes sideways.

Central and South America should be ok when the US falls. Even Cuba will be better than the US. The US is going to go from the top, all the way down to the bottom or close to it. The democrats are trying to hurry that along. bringing in millions of illegals to crash the system. You already see it in smaller communities where resources are tight. Medical facilities shutting down. Housing and freebies stretched to the max. Somehow our federal government decided that bringing in 100,000 Hatians was a good idea. In Springfield Ohio they dumped 20,000 of them into a town of 60,000. Typically a conservative city, they have now been saddled with 20,000 aids infested cannibals who also enjoy eating the locals pets.

Thats just the start of what the feds have in store for us. Sadly we live in the country that has the worlds reserve currency and it's our to abuse as our politicians see fit. And abuse it they will. So many wasted programs just to crash the system. So many abuses of our freedoms, again, to crash the system.

The 1st things you will notice when traveling abroad is the food is much better and overall things are much less expensive. People in most places are much happier than in the US. Health care for the most part is just as good or better than the US and in most places they aren't trying to shove drugs down your through.

Gun ownership may be less or non existent so get your knife and ax throwing skills up to speed.

Freedom is also much higher in many places. In the US politicians have decided that they alone have the authority to take away our rights. They can enforce that because of the massive technological systems they have in place. In many other countries that tech can't be afforded so you are left alone to live your life.

If your wealthy there are nice areas in just about any country with the possible exception of Haiti and some middle eastern countries. Even if you aren't wealthy, just living a middle class or lower middle class life here in the US propels you up a couple notches in most places in central and South America.

Know a guy from 40 years ago who wandered the world. Went South to America where he learned that "life" isn't so precious after some gangs took out some local gangs. You've all heard the stories no doubt?

He headed east instead and eventually landed in Thailand where he met the woman of his dreams. Hung out there for some time and eventually moved back to the US.

Recently ran into him and they're moving with his aging parents back to Thailand because the cost of elderly care facilities is prohibitive here, but not so much in Thailand.

He said it's a great country with great people and less expensive all around.

Back
Top Bottom