Drumbeats for the cashless society

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

If you do, then isn't the answer for all of us to try to find ways to use at least some cash?

The less it's used, the easier it'll be for it to be taken away.

You don't need to use it for ALL transactions, but isn't there some spot in your life for cash? We all need to make at least some effort to increase demand for cash before the point comes where it simply won't be an option.

Used cash three times last week.

Car dealership told me there was a three percent surcharge to use credit card, so I used cash. Same thing at the dentist. Checks and debit cards had no surcharges but used cash. Also used cash at notary.

Used cash three times last week.

Car dealership told me there was a three percent surcharge to use credit card, so I used cash. Same thing at the dentist. Checks and debit cards had no surcharges but used cash. Also used cash at notary.
Well that's great. I had thought that you had previously posted that you rarely used cash. Glad to hear that's not exactly the case.

I had thought that you had previously posted that you rarely used cash
I did. After posting that I took a quick scroll through this thread.

A little over a year ago you couldn't remember the last time you'd used cash.
Really can't recall the last time I really used cash.

At least you are moving in the right direction. Keep finding ways to use it more. If more people don't, we will lose it eventually, for sure.

I'm no proponent for a cashless society
If not, show it by using it more.

Edit to add: I'm a firm believer in having an emergency stash of cash on hand................just in case.
Because when/if the time comes that you need to use that emergency stash, you'll want to be able to use it, right?

^^^^ why is that funny?

Will you laughing if you are hungry, but no one will accept your emergency stash?

Is it not true that the fewer people who use cash, the more likely it becomes that it'll be removed as an option?

Is it not true that the fewer people who use cash, the more likely it becomes that it'll be removed as an option?

I'm not in favor of a cashless society but there are a large group of people who are, Think IMF, BIS and a host of other .gov types who are working to bring it about.

I started thinking about stuff like this back in the early 70s but never thought it could happen in my lifetime. I was wrong. It could and just may. Depends upon a lot of factors that I have no control over. All I can do is vote.

As to the majority of the population..........most people use plastic or a phone to pay for things. They don't think about, nor care about, a cashless society. They're already living it. Have been for years.

Any more banks are simply way stations used to hold your digital currency, transfer that currency and pay your bills. Has been that way for years.

I'm not in favor of a cashless society but there are a large group of people who are, Think IMF, BIS and a host of other .gov types who are working to bring it about.
If not in favor of it, do what YOU can in order to go against it.

Ie: find ways to use cash.

It's like how muscles can atrophy if unused for a long time. Don't help our money to atrophy.

I started thinking about stuff like this back in the early 70s but never thought it could happen in my lifetime. I was wrong. It could and just may. Depends upon a lot of factors that I have
The means to do so did not exist back then. Only in recent years has it existed.
...but yes, there was talk back then of it coming. It's been on the wishlist of the elites for a very long time.

As to the majority of the population..........most people use plastic or a phone to pay for things. They don't think about, nor care about, a cashless society. They're already living it. Have been for years
When you have the chance, remind them about the dangers of no longer having cash as a means of exchange.

If more people do what they are capable of within their own sphere of influance, together we might be able to at least keep delaying it.

If we let it go, our children, grandchildren and future generations will never know a freedom we've taken for granted.

Any more banks are simply way stations used to hold your digital currency, transfer that currency and pay your bills. Has been that way for years.
They'll just end up putting themselves out of business.

In a truly cashless society, there will be little need for brick and mortar banks.

In a truly cashless society, there will be little need for brick and mortar banks.

Around here more and more banks are closing branches. The big guys are just keeping one or two main branches open. Some of the little ones getting swallowed up by the big ones.

If you have to register to read, it's free.

CrowdStrike computer outage highlights need for Payment Choice Act​

On July 19, millions across the country found out the hard way what it means to rely too heavily on a digital economy. When an update from the cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike caused millions of computers to go offline, ATMs became inoperable. Bank customers temporarily lost access to their accounts. Restaurants, grocery stores and other retail establishments that have recently gone all or largely "cashless" were suddenly faced with lost sales and frustrated customers and employees trying to cope.

As Mark Eubanks, the CEO of Brinks, observed, "With every grid disruption, whether from natural disasters, cyberattacks or computer glitches, people are acutely reminded that cash is critical to keep commerce functioning."

More:

As Mark Eubanks, the CEO of Brinks, observed, "With every grid disruption, whether from natural disasters, cyberattacks or computer glitches, people are acutely reminded that cash is critical to keep commerce functioning.
YES.

There's little question in my mind that this is deliberate - to gin up panic.

It's ALSO obvious to me, that this is counterproductive. I'm almost completely off the financial grid, now - something I'd have thought asinine, 17 years ago.

Are the Elites just stupid?...or is there something afoot, or some strategy, that I can't ken?

. I'm almost completely off the financial grid, now - something I'd have thought asinine, 17 years ago.
Now imagine if everyone were doing the same.

Then further imagine if everyone had been doing that for the past few generations.

Our situation would be vastly different today.

I am not surprised. There are always a lot of contrarians in the population; and young people are less likely to be inhibited in displaying it.

I am one, and know how I'm reacting to all this arm-twisting and data-hoovering. When I was a kid (early 20s) I really, REALLY wanted a credit card. In the Volcker years, those were not easy to get without lengthy established credit.

Now, the MasterVisa people are tripping over themselves to issue me as many cards as I want. Replete with crushing penalty fees and 20-percent interest, if my payment is seconds late on a deadline.

I'm not interested. Just call me Mr. Cash, there, clerk...

Back
Top Bottom