John Deere announces mass layoffs

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

John Deere announces mass layoffs in Midwest amid production shift to Mexico​

June 29, 2024 1:29pm EDT

John Deere, the world’s largest seller of tractors and crop harvesters, has announced another wave of layoffs Friday, telling around 610 production staff at plants in Illinois and Iowa that they will be out of a job by the end of the summer, according to reports.

The company is slashing around 280 workers from a plant in East Moline, Illinois, while another 230 employees are being let go at a factory in Davenport, Iowa. About 100 production employees at the company’s Dubuque, Iowa, plant will also be impacted. All layoffs are said to be effective from Aug. 30, per a press release cited by several outlets.

According to the release, the layoffs are being made due to reduced demand for John Deere's products from those factories.

The company says it generated $10.166 billion in profits last year.

More:

On top of recent early retirement offers going out. Our plant had about 100 employees take the offer and retire. They're trying to get a plant in Mexico going but apparently they suck at doing anything.

John Deere is a fraction of the company it used to be. But Hey, the share price hit $400.

Apparently they feel they will be more profitable in MX. If so, they have an obligation to shareholders to do what's best for the share price.
Last time I was in Cancun I met some people who worked for Ford who were very happy to be doing so. Great jobs and pay for them by Mexican standards and obviously enough money in the paycheck to be taking the family to Cancun for a long weekend. Unlike lazy Americans who feel they are entitled to a job, the Mexicans are actually hard workers who appreciate the opportunity to better themselves. I'd rather they do that there than come here illegally

Funny thing is Mexico increased the financial responsibility of ex-pats that want to live there.

That country has no problem with their citizens leaving to send money back AND they are sick of Californians too!

Our politicians seem to like it as well. Anyway they can create demand for the dollar is ok by them. Billions for the drug cartels? No problem, 10% to the big guy and he'll show them all how to wash it.

Toyota's sent a lot of their work, formerly in San Antonio, down to Mejico. The new Tacoma trucks are all from there - I don't know if the bigger Tundras are being built there, too; but there have been a LOT of problems with recent-year Toyotas. Some are engineering goofs - the Obombahreg-compliant engines, with twin turbochargers, are under-engineered. That's a fault that goes back to Japan, even if the engineering was done in US or Mexico. Maybe not a fault - maybe the result of trying to meet impossible standards.

But just ASSEMBLY has gotten sloppy - and that's a direct result of whatever plant the product is built in. A Canadian car commentator went over new Tacomas and pointed out panel gaps - irregular, and often physically contacting. Not acceptable, to have a new truck with the tailgate grinding against its opening, whenever it's used.

So...no Japanese inspectors in Mexico. Nope...just as VW hired former GM managers to run their Westmoreland plant in 1978 (leading to disastrous results and the plant closing) apparently Toyota is hiring former VAM managers (the former State-owned automaker which built AMC models under license, and not well) to run the new plant.

How do you say "Lotsa Luck" in Japanese?

John Deere is gonna have the same problems. They might as well have skipped the foreplay and just moved their main plant to China.

Our politicians seem to like it as well. Anyway they can create demand for the dollar is ok by them. Billions for the drug cartels? No problem, 10% to the big guy and he'll show them all how to wash it.
Our politicians are puppets of the Globalists - obviously. To them, this is a great move.

ESPECIALLY since they're apparently phasing out farm equipment - first comes the Grate Depopulation Food Replacement Agenda, and then No More Oil.

And watch the population numbers sink to 500,000,000. And keep sinking - but that's something that a spoiled, rich midwit wouldn't know to expect.

Abolish good-paying jobs by shipping operations over to mercantile nations or regions...and watch the market for total trade and commerce shrink, appreciably, too. THAT is something they don't understand, either.

Retired John Deere employee on mass layoffs: 'It's going to be devastating'​

Jul 7, 2024
Retired John Deere employee Chris Laursen reacts to the company peeling off jobs amid production shift to Mexico on 'The Bottom Line.'

4:04

Kenworth just announced 300-400 job cuts as well. They employ about 2500 and definitely one of the larger employers around here.

Class 8 truck orders are down.

I don't think it's practical to export those jobs - given the huge size/weight of the product; given that most of their market is the USA. Also given, the total production numbers are very small - and a disproportionate number of those orders, made by owner/operators, the ones most-likely to be MAGA supporters.

Although the Buy-American crowd is finding choices limited. Freightliner is owned by Daimler-Benz, the same German thieves who bought, raped, stripped and discarded Chrysler. Mack is part of Volvo, the original company. Not the car company which is now owned by the CCP. And International is now part of Volkswagen.

It's somewhat to be expected as we are entering a nasty recession. But, ag prices have also come down a lot lately as well so that is gonna hurt them as well.

Plus you have this, John Deere went about as woke as the other WEF run companies. I think they failed to realize that almost ALL of their employees and customers are in non-woke areas.

Deere is trying to out-Woke everyone.

I don't know how to embed a TwitX feed; but here's a Zerohedge link, discussing the embedded vid.

Someone who knows better...feel free to make a direct link.

Ooops! Same link!

I'll leave it up, anyway, as an endorsement - MUST SEE THAT VID.

MUST STOP BUYING DEERE PRODUCTS.

Toyota's sent a lot of their work, formerly in San Antonio, down to Mejico. The new Tacoma trucks are all from there - I don't know if the bigger Tundras are being built there, too; but there have been a LOT of problems with recent-year Toyotas. Some are engineering goofs - the Obombahreg-compliant engines, with twin turbochargers, are under-engineered. That's a fault that goes back to Japan, even if the engineering was done in US or Mexico. Maybe not a fault - maybe the result of trying to meet impossible standards.

But just ASSEMBLY has gotten sloppy - and that's a direct result of whatever plant the product is built in. A Canadian car commentator went over new Tacomas and pointed out panel gaps - irregular, and often physically contacting. Not acceptable, to have a new truck with the tailgate grinding against its opening, whenever it's used.

So...no Japanese inspectors in Mexico. Nope...just as VW hired former GM managers to run their Westmoreland plant in 1978 (leading to disastrous results and the plant closing) apparently Toyota is hiring former VAM managers (the former State-owned automaker which built AMC models under license, and not well) to run the new plant.

How do you say "Lotsa Luck" in Japanese?

John Deere is gonna have the same problems. They might as well have skipped the foreplay and just moved their main plant to China.
Rotsa ruck in Mexico. The best products are manufactured in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. I hope the drunk Mexicans I saw walking around Busch Gardens don't work the Tacoma brake assembly line.

John Deere also has a responsibility to its workers and state. There must be a loophole that bypasses tariffs and other restrictions.

They recently lost a lawsuit that prevented the company from prohibiting tractors owners from repairing their own equipment. Not a lease, but owners.

I heard they turned the new John Deere 3 Series into a low-rider with chrome rims that bounces.

Ooops! Same link!

I'll leave it up, anyway, as an endorsement - MUST SEE THAT VID.

MUST STOP BUYING DEERE PRODUCTS.
I'm waaaay ahead of the curve on that one, as I've been boycotting them my whole life. Lol

I hope the drunk Mexicans I saw walking around Busch Gardens don't work the Tacoma brake assembly line.
Unfortunately, they do. In fact, those you saw were their most experienced employees. They were on break at the time.

I'm waaaay ahead of the curve on that one, as I've been boycotting them my whole life. Lol
Well...manner of speaking, so have I. I've never bought a Deere tractor my whole life.

Never even operated one. DID operate a couple of Ford 8Ns, a couple more Ford 3-cylinder tractors (decendants of the 8N, made in the 1960s) a David Brown (that was a tractor brand, bought and closed by Case) and two Jacobsen golf-course specific tractors.

I even passed on a Deere-branded snowblower in 2006, buying the same machine in Troy-Bilt branding for less. At that point they were all made by MTD anyway.

But...I suppose a lot of what I eat, has been planted or harvested by a Deere. But I got a firm Keep-Eating policy in my own house...

John Deere also has a responsibility to its workers and state. There must be a loophole that bypasses tariffs and other restrictions..
So many people assert that a company has an ABSOLUTE DUTY to maximize dollar returns to the stockholders. I say bullshit.

In my foggy brain, I believe that a corporation is an artificial entity created with some state, with the purpose of doing business as if it were an actual person. And I seem to imagine that this recognition is called a charter from the state. And the state will usually renew the charter year after year so long as the principal of the corporation fills out some information and pays a fee.

But the corporation continues so long as the state agrees to renew its charter, right? If the corporation becomes offensive to the state, does the state not have the decision to not renew the charter? And does the federal government not have the decision to regulate any and every interstate commerce that this corporation engages in?

I am absolutely in the libertarian camp, but when corporations turn against my fellows, I suggest removing their state benefits.

In my foggy brain, I believe that a corporation is an artificial entity created with some state, with the purpose of doing business as if it were an actual person. And I seem to imagine that this recognition is called a charter from the state.

Yes.

So let's deal with this corporation as if it were a person. Which it is...a Fictitious Person, as the law says.

Does that person break laws? Then mete out punishment.

Is there a law that says, John Doe, or Thurston Howell, or John Deere, MUST PROVIDE WORK TO OTHERS?

I don't believe so.

Now, at some point - since Wokery always, ALWAYS leads to failure - Deere is going to be asking for some sort of help. Probably after the quality issue leads to a fleeing of customers.

There is no law, either, requiring that the government help a manufacturer - person or corporation - that has misrun his business. Let's get away from the Age of Bailouts, which is a benighted age. Let's go back to the age of Studebaker, and American Motors, and Bethlehem Steel...where each business was left to sink or swim, on its merits, its abilities within, and the whims of chance.

"He Did It Again": Robby Starbuck's Anti-Woke Crusade Results In Deere Pulling Back On DEI Policies​

WEDNESDAY, JUL 17, 2024 - 09:35 AM

Weeks after Tractory Supply nuked its diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives following conservative backlash and boycotts sparked by commentator and filmmaker Robby Starbuck, Deere & Co. announced on X on Tuesday that it will no longer participate in "cultural awareness parades" and pull back on "woke" workplace policies.

Starbuck said the Moline, Illinois-based Deere has committed to:

• No longer funding pride parades
  • Business resource groups will no longer be divided on identity lines
  • Audit all training materials to ensure the absence of socially motivated messages
  • No hiring quotas or pronoun usage
"Another huge win in our war on wokeness, BUT I don't think this is enough for customers to go back. Customers want to hear that DEI policies are entirely gone and that they will no longer participate in social credit CEI scoring by HRC," Starbuck wrote on X.

More:

Just saw that.... FAR too late though morons. You did years of damage and will never recover in the minds of your customers.

Just saw that.... FAR too late though morons. You did years of damage and will never recover in the minds of your customers.
Too little and too late.

BREAK the company - until and unless the ENTIRE executive and middle-management populace is FIRED.

Mouthing apologies and claims of reversal, are cheap. The proof is in deeds.

And making amends COSTS. As in, positions and jobs. THEIR jobs.

I'm with you...but that latter, may not be Deere, but EPA.

THAT circus needs to be BURNED DOWN.

Of course I agree, but now you're just a dreaming.
I don't think so. We've reached a tipping point.

Why are modern cars so farked up, with hundreds of computer-chips and processors, proprietary software? Kludgy propulsion systems that don't hold up - like these GM pickups with big four-cylinder engines and "twin turbos." To turbocharge an engine is to put it under a FAR greater strain - it then performs like a larger engine but doesn't hold up. Turbochargers are great for racing, when an engine need last only a couple hours. Not in a $100,000 truck, that MUST last many decades, to be worth it...but clearly, will not, does not.

Even Toyota cannot make these new systems work. We've reached the point where the EPA is demanding FANTASY levels of emissions...and not for the environment, the fractional improvement won't even had an effect. It's to DESTROY THE CAR MARKET, THE MIDDLE CLASS, and the idea that you can live in a nice place far from dirty factories where you work.

What's going to happen is economic collapse.

What comes OUT of that will be, a sudden abandonment of regulations. Or, alternately, a government that demands compliance to standards that no longer can be met, because no one has money to afford such regulated product.

We either wind up like postwar Germany or France...or like Maoist China or the USSR, where government stood in the way of any technological progress.

Ya, the EPA goes bye-bye when the Dollar goes bye-bye. It's no more complicated than that.
When the dollar goes, the gov could still make all the rules in the World it wants to.
The problem will be in the lack of resources necessary to enforce those rules.

All these mega-corps are Marketing and Selling themselves to WALL ST. They have forgotten their customers and that's why they are being hollowed out.

Yup.

It's a common thing among the current generation of up-and-coming leaders...I saw it twenty years ago, when the rail industry was roiled by "consolidation." Predatory acquisitions.

The generation of managers of those mega-carriers, had NO interest in actually running railroads. They liked meetings with government regulators. They liked doing safety-poster campaigns (and government regulators liked it, too). They liked complex, contradictory reams of operating rules - they just LOVED complexity.

They liked hiring and firing - they could exercise Wokeness, hiring incompetents who they decided were "not adaquately represented" and threatening, sometimes firing, the Old White Men who had been there for generations, making the place work.

Money on maintenance was, to them, wasted. Money for new edifices - new signs, new flashy buildings, new fleets of gee-whiz trucks and corporate cars, was well-spent.

And, the flashy paint. ALL the major carriers, except Union Pacific, engaged in a costly search for the Perfect Graphic. CSX, BNSF, and to some extent Norfolk Southern, all played with costly paint schemes.

Silly, because EPA regs PREVENT washing of locomotives - makes the water dirty, yuck. Penn Central had the correct idea - paint locomotives flat-black; paint equipment rust-red. And be done with it.

But, this idea has spread from railroading and other less-obvious businesses, into the core of American industry. They're all excited about MAKING DEALS. Look at Apple, for 30 years - they started as a computer MAKER.

Now they're a phone VENDER. I don't know if they even do their own software work now, or contract THAT out to the CCP-owned organizations in Chin-Land.

All these younger American execs want to do, is MARKETING. And shmoozing with government regulators - contact with the gods, of their Paradise, GUBBERMINT.

The actual work, of conceiving, designing, manufacturing actual product...that's such a downer...

Tractor Mike.

John Deere Layoffs: What’s Happening and Why?​

Jul 25, 2024 #EconomicChallenges #JohnDeere #Layoffs

In this video, we delve into the recent series of layoffs announced by John Deere and explore the reasons behind these workforce reductions. John Deere, a leading manufacturer of agricultural machinery, has faced significant challenges recently, leading to tough decisions impacting numerous employees. Let's break down the timeline and reasons behind these layoffs, understand the broader industry trends, and see what the future might hold for Deere and its workforce.

10:38

If you'd rather read:

Timeline of Layoffs

September 20, 2023 - East Moline, IL, John Deere announced the layoff of 200 employees at its East Moline facility, which builds combines. This factory spans 3 million square feet on 71 acres and is a crucial site for Deere’s operations.

March 12, 2024 - Ankeny, Iowa, on this date, Deere targeted 150 employees for layoffs at its Ankeny plant, which produces sprayers and cotton pickers. This move marks the beginning of a series of workforce reductions in 2024.

March 26, 2024 - Waterloo, Iowa, a significant reduction occurred with 308 employees laid off at Waterloo, where Deere manufactures 7, 8, and 9 Series tractors. Waterloo’s total employment exceeds 5,000 workers, making this a substantial cut.

April 16, 2024 - Racine, WI (Case New Holland), it’s not just John Deere; CNH also announced layoffs of 200 employees at its Racine factory, where they produce Magnum Series Case Tractors and larger New Holland models.

May 8, 2024 - Moline, IL, John Deere laid off 34 employees at its Cylinder Works facility in Moline.

May 20, 2024 - Waterloo, Iowa, further layoffs hit Waterloo, with 190 employees losing their jobs.

June 5, 2024 - Moline, IL, another round of layoffs affected 120 workers at Deere’s Seeder and Cylinder plant in Moline.

June 6, 2024 - Urbandale, Iowa, Waterloo, and Ankeny, Deere announced the reduction of 100 employees, impacting 58 at Urbandale, headquarters of Deere’s Intelligent Solutions Group, 49 at Waterloo, and 16 at Ankeny.

July 1, 2024 - Davenport and Dubuque, Iowa, a significant layoff impacted 211 workers at Davenport and 99 at Dubuque. The Davenport facility manufactures skidders, wheeled feller-bunchers, four-wheel-drive loaders, articulated dump trucks, and motor graders. The Dubuque plant produces large-frame skid steer and compact track loaders, backhoes, utility, construction, and production-class crawler dozers, crawler loaders, and knuckleboom loaders.

July 10, 2024 - Waterloo, Iowa, another significant reduction came with 345 employees being laid off, set to take effect in late September.

Several factors contribute to these layoffs at John Deere:

Decreased Farm Income, the USDA predicts a significant decrease in farm income, potentially down by 25% in 2024. Lower income for farmers translates to reduced purchases of new equipment, directly impacting manufacturers like John Deere.

Also, John Deere is feeling the squeeze on profits. Despite reporting a net income of $10.1 billion last year, the company has only made $4.1 billion in the first two quarters of this year, indicating a downtrend in profitability. The United Auto Workers (UAW) strike, which ended in November 2021, resulted in a new six-year deal with significant concessions. The strike's resolution brought about increased labor costs, impacting Deere's financial planning and workforce management.

The agricultural equipment market experienced a boom following the Russian invasion of Ukraine, which drove up commodity prices and equipment demand. However, as market conditions normalize, Deere is adjusting its workforce to align with current demand levels.

The shift of some production lines to Mexico has garnered negative publicity for Deere, but they're not the only manufacture involved in that trend.

We’ll cover that in our next video and call out some other companies that are expanding their manufacturing footprint in Mexico.

Farm Journal

EXCLUSIVE: John Deere Addresses Layoffs and Ag Economy Challenges in First Public Statement​

Jul 26, 2024

Cory Reed, president of Worldwide Agriculture & Turf Division, spoke about the layoffs in an exclusive interview with Tyne Morgan of U.S. Farm Report. He attributed the cuts to decreased demand due to lower net farm income, higher interest rates and market volatility.

Read More Here!https://www.agweb.com/news/machinery/...

26:17

John Deere Layoffs: What’s Happening and Why?

Here's a nooze-flash:

Destroy farming as an industry, and other industries, that sell products made for farming, and industries that sell the products of farming...are ALSO destroyed.

Also, economies. Sustenance economies don't have ski resorts or vacation destinations like Disney World or Las Vegas. What they have, is a lot of starving people and plenty of death before age 50.

Back
Top Bottom