Stair lift help /questions

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score
Have an elderly relative in a nursing home / rehab who may be returning to his house in a month or two. He has asked me to look into stair lifts as he has an upstairs where he used to spend a lot of time.

Other than seeing stairlifts advertised on tv I know nothing about them. Interested in hearing from anyone with experience. Looking for info on actual cost to rent. Any problems you may have had, any suggestions that'll help me when I deal with whoever comes out to give an estimate.

TIA

My parents got one a year or two ago. I'll have to ask them about the cost. I know that the installation was done in one day. My father applies a lubricant to the system once every few months and the chair has run mostly without any problems for them. The few times they had an issue, they called the company they bought it from and they sent a tech who resolved the problem within an hour or so. I'd definitely consider what kind of warranty the system(s) you look at carry as well as the availability of tech support (usually outsourced to an installation subcontractor).

My folks don't always use the chair, but they do use it almost daily. The seat, armrests and footrest can fold up when not in use to allow a little more room on the stairwell for anyone walking up/down the stairs, but it's a tight fit to get past it - especially if you are carrying anything bulky.

I talked to my father. They got a Pilot brand system which he says is a less expensive knock-off of an Acorn brand. Theirs cost around 5k a few years ago.

He used to apply lubricant when they first got it (per the sales/install reps instruction). Then they had some problems and the manufacturer told them not to lube it any more. They haven't lubricated it in over a year and it has not had a problem since.

My father says that the chair needs to be used at least 3x a day to keep the battery working good. If you aren't going to be home for a few days, you need to unplug it.

He also says that you should pay extra for the "hyperspeed button" (that's a joke) - these chairs move slow. Other than that, he said there really isn't much to consider. They cost a bit, but work as advertised for the most part.

Have someone coming out this afternoon to give estimate.

Does Medicare cover stair lifts? What older adults need to know to age in place​

Most older adults, about 3 in 4, want to age in place. But many are also aware that their current home may not have the perfect set-up to do that, especially if they live in a home with more than one floor. Stairs can be a huge safety concern, especially if there are balance or mobility issues.

A stair lift—a motorized chair that attaches to a rail to glide you up and down safely—might seem like a perfect solution. But, there’s a catch: they can cost thousands of dollars and are not covered by traditional Medicare.

That’s because Medicare classifies them as a home modification, not durable medical equipment (DME) like a walker or wheelchair, which is paid for by Part B coverage. Under Part B, DME must be considered “medically necessary” and ordered by a Medicare-participating physician. Medicare also does not pay for equipment it considers used for “comfort or convenience” such as bathroom grab bars, handrails, or wheelchair ramps. Similarly, no Medigap supplemental plan will cover stair lifts, since they only pay the remaining costs of Medicare-covered expenses.

More:

I would hire a couple of illegals to carry me up and down the stairs. They work cheap and only eat rice and beans.

Installed today. Did a rental with 101 Mobility. $978.42 covered installation and first three months rent. After that it's $126.14 per month. No buy backs on rentals. Once you no longer need it, they'll come out and remove it. You're responsible for any holes they drilled.

Guy did it by himself. Took a little over an hour. Did a good job, no complaints.

Got this:

Back
Top Bottom