Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ukraine inches closer to EU dream after decade of war​

June 24, 2024 2:07 AM EDT

• EU to launch accession talks with Ukraine on Tuesday
  • Start will cap Kyiv's long campaign for closer ties
  • Years of tough reform work still lie ahead
KYIV, June 24 (Reuters) - A veteran of Ukraine's 2014 revolution who is now fighting Russian forces, Yehor Sobolev knows the price of Kyiv's decade-long drive to join the European Union as well as anyone.

Having backed tough reforms as a lawmaker after the pro-democracy uprising 10 years ago, he says he will look on proudly from the front as formal accession talks open on Tuesday.

"We Ukrainians know how to fulfil our dreams," said the 47-year-old deputy commander of a special army unit.

Russia promises retaliation against US for Ukraine strike on Crimea​

June 24, 2024 3:26 PM EDT

• Russia says US is to blame for attack on Crimea
  • Ukraine struck Crimea with U.S. ATACMS, Russia says
  • Russia summons US ambassador in Moscow
MOSCOW, June 24 (Reuters) - The Kremlin on Monday squarely blamed the United States for an attack on Crimea with U.S.-supplied ATACMS missiles that killed at least four people and injured 151, and Moscow formally warned the U.S. ambassador that retaliation would follow.

The war in Ukraine has deepened a crisis in relations between Russia and the West, and Russian officials have said the conflict is entering the most dangerous escalation to date.

But directly blaming the United States for an attack on Crimea - which Russia unilaterally annexed in 2014 although most of the world considers it part of Ukraine - is a step further.

"You should ask my colleagues in Europe, and above all in Washington, the press secretaries, why their governments are killing Russian children," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

At least two children were killed in the attack on Sevastopol on Sunday, according to Russian officials. People were shown running from a beach near Sevastopol and some of the injured being carried off on sun loungers. Kyiv did not comment on the attack.

More:

Exclusive-Trump handed plan to halt US military aid to Kyiv unless it talks peace with Moscow​

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Two key advisers to Donald Trump have presented him with a plan to end Russia's war in Ukraine - if he wins the presidential election - that involves telling Ukraine it will only get more U.S. weapons if it enters into peace talks.

The United States would at the same time warn Moscow that any refusal to negotiate would result in increased U.S. support for Ukraine, retired Lieutenant General Keith Kellogg, one of Trump's national security advisers, said in an interview.

Under the plan drawn up by Kellogg and Fred Fleitz, who both served as chiefs of staff in Trump's National Security Council during his 2017-2021 presidency, there would be a ceasefire based on prevailing battle lines during peace talks.

They have presented their strategy to Trump, and the former president responded favorably, Fleitz said. "I'm not claiming he agreed with it or agreed with every word of it, but we were pleased to get the feedback we did," he said.

However, Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung said only statements made by Trump or authorized members of his campaign should be deemed official.

The strategy outlined by Kellogg and Fleitz is the most detailed plan yet by associates of Trump, who has said he could quickly settle the war in Ukraine if he beats President Joe Biden in the Nov. 5 election, though he has not discussed specifics.

More:

International Criminal Court issues arrest warrants for Russia's Shoigu and Gerasimov​

• ICC issues arrest warrants over attacks on power infrastructure
  • Kyiv welcomes warrants; Moscow calls it 'hybrid war'
  • Uncertainty over trials as Russia rejects jurisdiction, ICC lacks enforcement power
THE HAGUE, June 25 (Reuters) - The International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Sergei Shoigu, the former Russian defence minister, and leading Russian general Valery Gerasimov on Tuesday for alleged crimes committed during Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

It brought to eight the number of arrest warrants issued against senior Russian suspects since Moscow sent troops into Ukraine in February 2022. They include Russian President Vladimir Putin, who faces charges over the deportation of Ukrainian children to Russia.

More:

In his home near Ukraine's front line with Russia, Yurii makes a stand​

In Dolyna, a village that was destroyed by the Russians after the war began, Yurii maintains a lonely vigil. There were once 500 residents living here - until the Russians came. Now there are only a handful. "I'm not afraid," says Yurii. "I'm in my home."

Filed June 27, 2024, 9 a.m. GMT

In Dolyna, there used to be 500 residents. Today, there are only a handful.

The picturesque village, near the border of Ukraine’s Donetsk and Kharkiv regions, was one of many in the area that became fierce battlegrounds in the spring and summer of 2022 after Russia invaded Ukraine. Almost all of the residents fled.

In a jubilant period in the fall of that year, Ukrainian forces pushed back Russian troops and retook the village just north of Sloviansk.

Yurii, who taught woodworking at the local school, is one of the few residents who have since returned. He and his wife moved to Dolyna 30 years ago when she was transferred to the village as a teacher. Here they had three children, built a home, and made a life together.

Initially, the 68-year-old did not believe Russian troops would invade.

“Brotherly country, all that,” he said, recounting how he believed before 2014 that Russia and Ukraine were friends and noting all of the acquaintances he used to have in Russia. Russian-backed separatists staged a battle to control the Donetsk and Luhansk regions a decade ago.

But now, Yurii says, the Russians “see how everything is fine in our country, how everything in our country is improving, and they want to destroy it.”

More:

In depth interview

The war in Ukraine and the decline of the West | #1623 with Douglas Macgregor​

120m

MWI podcast, nothing to see, can listen in one tab, play around the forum in a different tab. 46 mins long.

MWI PODCAST: CLAUSEWITZ AND THE WAR IN UKRAINE​

What is Russia’s political object in its war against Ukraine? What is Ukraine’s? And if these are fundamentally irreconcilable, what developments might still bring the war to an end?

These questions are framed in terms of the ideas presented by Prussian military theorist Carl von Clausewitz two hundred years ago. Those ideas—and others from Clausewitz’s On War—offer a powerful lens through which to examine the war in Ukraine. This episode of the MWI Podcast makes use of that lens. In it, John Amble is joined by Dr. Donald Stoker. A historian and professor at the National Defense University’s Eisenhower School, he is also the author of Clausewitz: His Life and Work.

Stoker describes the political outcome each side in the war seeks and explores the question of how far each can—and should—go militarily to achieve that outcome. He also discusses the specific reasons a path toward peace remains elusive and the challenges to establishing one that is sustainable. Throughout the conversation, he applies Clausewitz’s ideas to the conflict—from identifying Russia’s center of gravity to considering Ukraine’s theory of victory—to offer listeners a unique perspective on the war.

More:

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.

Motorcycles and Mayhem in Ukraine’s East​

They first appeared as a cloud of dust on the horizon. A few seconds later, the motorcycles carrying Russian soldiers sped into view, zigzagging across a field, kicking up dust, attempting a noisy, dangerous run at a Ukrainian trench.

“They moved fast, they spread out and they swerved,” said Lt. Mykhailo Hubitsky, describing the Russian motorcycle assault he witnessed. It’s a type of attack that has been proliferating along the frontline this spring, adding a wild new element to the already violent, chaotic fighting.

Russian soldiers riding motorcycles, dirt bikes, quadricycles and dune buggies now account for about half of all attacks in some areas of the front, soldiers and commanders say, as Moscow’s forces attempt to use speed to cross exposed open spaces where its lumbering armored vehicles are easy targets.

More:

I used my crystal ball to predict this several months back...

Douglas Macgregor WARNS: US Escalates War! Ukraine FALLS Into Nato's Trap Again! Putin' Big Move​

Scott Ritter: Russia Will Demolish the Ukraine Military​

Apparently it's unConstitutional for Ukraine to join NATO.

It's written into their Constitution that Ukraine is a neutral country.

Also, Zelensky is what they say Trump will be. A dictator. His term ended in May, but he refuses to leave office. That's an insurrection, and anyone supporting what he did clearly supports insurrection.

@searcher , I know you are 100% against presidents not leaving when their term is up, so what do you think of this? Do you support dictator Zelensky? Or are you in support of democracy?

Why is an actual insurrection in Ukraine considered as good, but the fake one here we're told, is worse than Pearl Harbor and 9/11 combined?

Last edited:

Russia Drops ODAB 1500 Bomb – What You Need to Know!​

The use of explosive weapons has long defined the brutality of war. But a new and particularly destructive weapon has entered the fray in Ukraine: the thermobaric bomb, also known as a "vacuum bomb." These devices unleash a devastating blast wave and consume surrounding oxygen, inflicting horrific injuries and causing widespread destruction.

The battle for control of eastern Ukraine intensified in May 2024 as the Russian military ramps up its offensive in the Kharkiv region. The city of Volchansk has become a focal point, with Ukrainian forces facing a relentless barrage of artillery and air attacks.

Then, on May 21st, the fight took a terrifying turn. Russia deployed the ODAB-1500 thermobaric bomb for the first time. This weapon, nicknamed the "Father of All Bombs'' by some, is designed to unleash a brutal combination of extreme heat and pressure, devastating anything caught in its path.

The attack, reported by ANNA News, resulted in substantial damage to the building and inflicted severe casualties on the personnel inside. The exact extent of the losses remains under assessment. A video of the strike, shared on the Telegram channel Severen Veter, confirmed the involvement of the Russian air force, although the precise timing of the attack was not disclosed.

@searcher , I know you are 100% against presidents not leaving when their term is up, so what do you think of this? Do you support dictator Zelensky? Or are you in support of democracy?

You know much more about Zelensky and the Ukrainian constitution than I do. I only know that they are a sovereign nation that was invaded by a much larger country and their citizens are being murdered by the invaders for no other reason than a power / land grab by the leaders of the invading country.

I wish the Ukrainians God Speed in their quest for freedom and democracy.

You know much more about Zelensky and the Ukrainian constitution than I do. I only know that they are a sovereign nation that was invaded by a much larger country and their citizens are being murdered by the invaders for no other reason than a power / land grab by the leaders of the invading country.

I wish the Ukrainians God Speed in their quest for freedom and democracy.
What you "know" is incorrect.

Perfect western propaganda. Good job absorbing only one side of the argument!

The ONLY reason Russia went into Ukraine is because the west was bombing Russian civilians in the east, Donbas.

This was AFTER the US overthrew the Ukrainian president in a coup known as the Orange Revolution. Plenty of videos exist showing that AND Victoria Nuland was caught on tape talking about overthrowing the government and saying FU to the EU.

Not to mention that the US has a vested interest in Ukraine... nor that they had 26? Bio-weapons labs there... one might as 'Why?' that would be. Perhaps what they were doing in Ukriaine would be illegal in the US?

What you "know" is incorrect

If my info is incorrect, it won't be the first or last time. But to me it's like Hitler invading his neighboring countries when he kicked off the war in Europe.

The really sad thing is that in wars it's the innocent civilians who suffer. People who simply want to get up, go to work, take care of their families and try to get ahead. Most aren't political and just want to be left alone and go about their daily lives.

👉 NO ONE IS FORGOTTEN (https://t.me/no_one_is_forgotten) 👈

It is no secret that mainstream media is heavily censoring any information which presents an alternative point of view on the events in Ukraine. People who dare ask inconvenient questions or try to present information objectively get de-platformed, banned, fired...

In this (https://t.me/no_one_is_forgotten)channel you will find translated videos, articles, comments. We do our best to provide the second half of the bigger picture which has been cut out of the Western narrative.

Follow the channel to stay informed - https://t.me/no_one_is_forgotten

With a name like "Searcher" one might think your goal is to search out the truth of a matter.
Used to post on a forum that's long gone. Could have been Daily Reckoning or some other financial / metals site - really don't remember. Any way, when they were closing some of the guys talked about going to gim 1. I signed up but several of the names I picked were taken. I tried searcher and it took. There was no rhyme or reason why I chose it. Simply popped into my mind.

Some peeps use the same screen name everywhere they go. I don't. Once you leave here you will not find me as searcher even though we might be in the same forum. Also.........outside of here I don't post about politics anywhere. Usually subject heavy or fun stuff.

I tried searcher and it took. There was no rhyme or reason why I chose it. Simply popped into my mind.
You should aspire to live up to your name.
...or is it one of them opposite names, like a fat guy goin' by Slim?

Back
Top Bottom