Jobs, side hustles & life styling for $$$

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

That is crap.

NOTHING about a boat is CHEAP. Not the purchase; not the maintenance. Not even the mooring.

Yes, you can cut corners, say, in mooring. What corners can you cut when you need work on the hull? How do you defer repair of dry rot or marine worms?

Asking A 76 Year Old Shipping Billionaire If It Was Worth It​

Nov 3, 2023

31:48

In this video, I interview shipowner Michael Hudner, whose video clip on my channel went viral (18M+ views). We learn how he went from a desk job to owning over 140 ships and overcoming adversity on his journey.

Michael Hudner’s company: https://bhships.com/

00:00 - Intro
01:45 - Michael’s viral clip
02:24 - Career summary
03:57 - $1B in ships0
4:22 - Starting out in real estate
05:13 - Work for yourself = freedom
06:13 - Michael had a dream
08:12 - Other people’s money
09:46 - Lost Chapter
10:31 - Most challenging moments
11:15 - Overcoming emotional pain
17:01 - Money culture
19:07 - His sailboat
20:34 - Money is energy
22:48 - Being famous for money
23:37 - Regrets
24:37 - A rich life, but not easy
24:58 - Advice to get started
26:55 - Ship owning business
29:10 - Greatest satisfaction in life

30-year-old works ‘2 hours a day’ on her side hustle and makes $22,000/month in passive income—here’s her typical week​

In 2020, I was working two marketing jobs and putting in grueling 80-hour workweeks. But my real passion was creating art.

So in April 2020, I started DomoINK as a side hustle. It has since blossomed into a successful art and home decor brand. I make $22,000 a month in passive income from online sales through my website, Etsy, Society6, and retailers like Target and Home Goods. I've also collaborated with major brands like Disney, Samsung, Lowe's and Dr. Martens.

The best part is that I spend an average of just two hours a day on DomoINK. The rest of the time is spent on my remote job as an interactive designer.

Here's a look at my typical week:

More:

Gotta give this guy credit. He has some neat vids.

Asking Millionaires How They Got RICH! (Scottsdale)​

Nov 25, 2023

12:24

We interviewed wealthy people in varying industries all across Scottsdale, Arizona. We visited fancy shopping centers in Arizona and asked people about the most amount of money they have made in a year as well as asking for their career/life advice. We interviewed people in a variety of industries such as Real Estate, Sales, Finance, and Entrepreneurship. We have a ton of amazing content on the way so make sure you stay tuned for more content soon!

How Much YouTubers ACTUALLY Make 💰

Dec 2, 2023

8:53

This is how much i make on youtube with 10k-50k-100k-250k 350k subscribers.

Business Insider (fwiw / dyodd)

I earn $200K a year without a college degree after testing out 28 jobs. Here's what I learned from job-hopping.​

• Ethan Clatterbaugh, 32, has changed jobs frequently ever since his first babysitting gig at 15.
  • Without a college degree, he's built a career path from wide-ranging experiences and certifications.
  • Receiving treatment for ADHD and narcolepsy has also helped him accelerate his career.
This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with Ethan Clatterbaugh, a 32-year-old technical product manager from Golden, Colorado about his six-figure career journey. It's been edited for length and clarity.

In my current role, I'm a technical product manager at Forbright Bank, making $198,000 a year plus a performance bonus. Since I work a corporate job making good money, people might assume I took a fairly typical path to get here: four-year college, summer internships, working my way up the ladder. But they'd be wrong.

More:

I Couldn't Buy A Home In America - So I Bought In Italy For $62,000​

Dec 14, 2023
Stephanie Synclair, 41, owns her own business and makes $80,000 a year. She lives in Atlanta but made Sicily her home away from home in 2022 when she bought a house there for around $62,000.
This is an installment of CNBC Make It's Millennial Money series, which profiles people across the globe and details how they earn, spend and save their money.

7:04

DYODD

5 Consumerism Trends That Will End Badly In 2024​

Dec 22, 2023

9:46

00:00 Start Here
00:43 Luxury Apartments
02:39 Revitalized Town Centers
04:28 Tipping
05:58 Temu
07:47 Sports Betting

He's mostly right.

I don't know what there is to do about it. This is a society that's lost its morality and its good sense; and now, with the low-IQ Elites debasing the currency, is losing prosperity or the hope of gaining any.

The answer here, is the answer to enforcement of the Ten Commandments: PERSONAL DISCIPLINE. I never heard of Temu. I think he's right, that it's the buying experience, not the product, that matters; but the answer there is not a ban or restriction, but to make sure your preteen kid never becomes like these airheads are. Otherwise...water finds its own level; and a fool and his money are soon parted.

Asking Texas Millionaires How They Got RICH!​

Dec 23, 2023

12:09

A millennial travel nurse explains how he makes over $100,000 a year and avoids burnout​

• Anthony Swain, 32, earned over $100,000 as a travel nurse in 2023.
  • He said travel nursing has given him more control over his schedule and helped him avoid burnout.
  • Some hospitals are turning to travel nurses in response to staff shortages.
Anthony Swain switches jobs every three to six months. But the pay and flexibility have made his career well worth it.

Last year, the 32-year-old earned about $102,000 as a telemetry travel nurse, according to documents viewed by Business Insider. Since transitioning from staff nurse to travel nurse in 2016, he said he's been able to pay off his vehicle, build emergency savings, and purchase an investment property.

More:

Asking Holiday Shoppers How They Got RICH!​

Jan 1, 2024

We interviewed wealthy people in varying industries all across Houston, Texas. We asked people about the most amount of money they have made in a year as well as asking for their career/life advice. We interviewed entrepreneurs in a variety of industries such as Cyber Security, Wealth Management, Oil & Gas, Solar and the Lumber industry. We have a ton of amazing content on the way so make sure you stay tuned for more content soon!

11:55

This one is a bit different ( a lot different.)

How I Built My $3 Million Business Buying Cars At Auctions​

Feb 16, 2023
Craig Stowell owns Flying Wheels, a car dealership in Danville, New Hampshire. Valued at an estimated $3 million, Stowell’s business buys about 80% of its cars at auctions around the country. In 2022, the U.S. vehicle auction market was valued at $3.21 billion. Flying Wheels reached $1.3 million in sales last year. Many of those sales came from his online followers on YouTube and other social media. Watch this video to learn how Stowell built his $3 million business buying cars at auctions.

6:26

I Was Fired From Facebook In My 20s—Now I Make $3.3 Million Running My Own Tech Company​

Jan 25, 2024
Noah Kagan, 41, CEO and Co-founder of Appsumo.com, earns approximately $3.3 million a year. Before starting Appsumo.com, he held positions at tech companies such as Intel, Mint.com, and Facebook. Currently, Noah divides his time between his homes in Austin, TX, and Spain.

8:07

Getting My Own Reality TV Show​

HGTV, Nextflix and now reality TV? This is how it all happened.. or almost happened..

9:10

Rambling thoughts !! GET RID OF IT !!!!​

Feb 5, 2024
Rambling thoughts!! GET RID OF IT!!!! all about getting towards your best life!!! 15 mins long.

How I Would Start A Lawn Care Business If I Was BROKE​

Feb 6, 2024

16:01

Asking Yacht Owners How They Got RICH!​

Feb 6, 2024

We interviewed yacht owners all over Miami, Florida asking them how they got rich. We asked them about the most amount of money they have made in a year as well as asking for their career/life advice. We interviewed people in a variety of industries such as Health Care, Entertainment, E-commerce, and Entrepreneurship. We have a ton of amazing content on the way so make sure you stay tuned for more content soon!

14:09

Business Insider

A millennial explains how he makes over $250,000 secretly working 2 remote jobs — and shares 4 tips for the overemployed​

• A Georgia-based millennial is earning over $250,000 a year secretly working two remote jobs.
  • He said his childhood made him want financial security and that overemployment provides him job security.
  • The IT professional shared his four pieces of advice for overemployed workers.
Tomas, a Georgia-based IT worker in his 30s, said his journey to an “overemployed” lifestyle began at a very young age.

He grew up “very poor,” he told Business Insider, and after his mother left his father, he, his mother, and four siblings shared a one-room apartment for two years.

“As I got older I was like, ‘I don't want to live like that,” he said.

In 2016, when Tomas had roughly $40,000 in credit card debt and was struggling to pay child support, he decided to look for a second remote job he could work on the sly. Two years later, job juggling had helped him pay off his debt, but he wasn’t ready to give it up.

“I kind of felt invincible, and it made me feel like that will be one less thing I have to worry about in life,” said Tomas, whose identity is known to BI but has been withheld due to his fear of professional repercussions.

To this day, Tomas is secretly working two full-time remote jobs that pay over $250,000 a year in combined salaries, according to documents viewed by BI. Doing so has helped him grow his net worth to over $500,000, pay off two new cars, travel more, and find “financial stability and freedom,” he said. Tomas added that he'd love to have a third job if he can find the right fit.

More:

life lessons from a windshield !!!​

12:04

Here's an idea for a niche market that I'm not sure anyone has tapped into yet.

Valentine's Day cards for transgenders. Think of the pronoun combinations. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I turned my garage into an apartment I rent out. It helps me afford retirement and almost paid off my mortgage.​

• Helen Boxwill, 77, refinanced her home to build an accessory dwelling unit on her New York property.
  • She rents out the ADU for rental income and has had three tenants over about 20 years.
  • Boxwill said the ADU "has been a blessing" whose revenue has helped pay taxes and other bills.
This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with Helen Boxwill, a 77-year-old retired educator who runs a nonprofit that supports education and water access in Ethiopia and Burundi. Boxwill built an accessory dwelling unit on her property in Huntington, New York, in 2003. The essay has been edited for length and clarity.
I bought my house for $145,000 in 1989. It had three bedrooms and one and a half baths, with a living room, kitchen, and a bedroom downstairs.

In 2003, I decided to add an ADU to my home. I was a single parent and retiring, so I knew that my income stream would be different. I thought that renting out the ADU would be economical, and maybe there was a possibility that my mother or another family member would eventually want to live there.

At the time, there were no programs available for assistance. Now, however, there are new laws to help homeowners finance construction — and I’m jealous.

More:

Took a hobby and turned it into a business.

This ONE-MAN SHOP has quite a collection of VINTAGE MACHINES! | Hiltz Machine Works Shop Tour​

A 1955 Logan 6560 lathe. A 1985 Series 1 Bridgeport milling machine. And a versatile SIPP drill press that came from a paper mill... Hiltz Machine Works has quite an impressive collection of vintage machines.

In this shop tour, Jeremy Hiltz, Owner and Operator of Hiltz Machine Works, takes us through his manual machine shop to showcase his vintage machines and explain how he uses them in his shop.

Located in Cary, Maine, Hiltz Machine Works is a one-man, fully equipped manual machine shop focused on repair work, Powersports applications, short-run production and niche machining.

29:18

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@MaineMachinist/videos

CEO of Robinhood on The Best Money He’s Ever Blown | Men’$ Wealth | Men's Health​

Jan 24, 2024

Vlad Tenev, co-founder and CEO of stock trading app Robinhood, gives us the rundown on building Robinhood, the best/worst money he's spent throughout his career and explains what he's learned along the way.
Watch more Men's Health 'Men'$ Wealth' videos HERE: • Master P on The Best Money He's Ever ...

8:06

23-year-old was ‘so bored’ at home—she started a side hustle that brings in $10,300 a month: ‘It doesn’t feel like work to me’​

Sophie Riegel turned her boredom into a six-figure side hustle.

Riegel was a Duke University freshman in 2020, when Covid-19 turned her first year of college into a remote experience. She was “so bored” at home, and began searching her childhood bedroom for unused clothing and other items she might sell online to “make some extra money,” she says.

She found a few items, and netted roughly $200 selling them. “I probably sold, like, an item a week for the first couple months of me selling my own stuff,” says Riegel, 23.

Hooked, she combed through thrift stores around Durham and Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Within weeks, she was selling roughly $50 per day of thrifted clothing, mostly buying T-shirts for $1 apiece and selling them for up to $10

More:

Americans Bought Abandoned $1 Homes In Italy — Was It Worth It?​

Feb 22, 2024

In the late 2010s, towns around Italy started going viral for selling off crumbling properties for 1 euro, or roughly $1.05. How much does it really cost to buy and renovate a 1-euro home in Italy? And is it worth it? CNBC Make It spoke to several Americans who have bought a 1-euro home in Sicily, Italy. 18 mins long.

21 Year Old Running A 5 Million Dollar Lawn Care Company! (Shop Tour and Maintenance Division)​

Feb 24, 2024

32:56

How To Upgrade Your Lifestyle Without Going Broke​

As you get older and start to make more money, your standards will get higher and you will want to upgrade your life. Sadly, when many people upgrade their lives they run into financial problems. You can avoid these problems, however, simply by asking yourself questions. In this video, I talk about 8 questions you need to ask yourself before upgrading your lifestyle. 12 mins long.

00:56 Can I Afford This Upgrade
02:11 Why Am I Upgrading
03:30 What Are The Most Important Pieces To My Upgrade
04:51 How Can I Maximize My Money Spent06:22 Am I Over Upgrading
07:42 What Are Other Costs Associated With The Upgrade
09:00 Is This Upgrade Sustainable In The Long Term
10:19 Am I Upgrading Too Quickly

Asking Luxury Shoppers How They Got RICH! (Dallas)​

Feb 21, 2024

We interviewed luxury shoppers in varying industries all across Dallas, Texas. We asked people about the most amount of money they have made in a year as well as asking for their career/life advice. We interviewed entrepreneurs in a variety of industries such as private equity, supply chain, Entrepreneurship, restaurants and even a professional football player. We have a ton of amazing content on the way so make sure you stay tuned for more content soon!

13:06

I bought a house with my ex 14 years after we broke up. We're saving so much money, and I'm happier.​

• Elisa Ball bought a house in Palm Bay, Florida, with a former partner who's now her best friend.
  • Florida's climbing rents were a driving force to split the costs of homeownership with someone else.
  • She now has nearly double the space for almost half the cost and is happy with her decision.
This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with Elisa Ball, a 67-year-old travel agent who bought a home in Palm Bay, Florida, with a former romantic partner in 2023. The conversation was edited for length and clarity.
I've owned many homes previously, but I sold everything in 2009. I truly didn't plan on owning anything for the rest of my life.

I didn't want the hassle because of unexpected expenses. I also own a travel agency, so I travel extensively. I could really live anywhere, anytime, so I didn't want to tie myself down. I have family all across America.

My rental in Palm Beach County, Florida, increased dramatically from 2021 to 2023, and it almost became unaffordable for one person.

Initially, I was paying $1,450 a month for a two-bedroom, two-bathroom, about 1,300-square-foot condo. In 2022, I was paying $1,875 and my landlord was going to raise it $50 — he was only going to raise it $50 because he really liked me and wanted me to stay. Otherwise, he could have gotten several hundred dollars more. The average apartment then was going for about $2,200.

More:

21 Year Old Running A 5 Million Dollar Lawn Care Company! (Shop Tour and Maintenance Division)​

Feb 24, 2024

32:56

21 Year Old Running A 5 Million Dollar Lawn Care Company! Pt 2 (Tree Division & Secret To Growth)​

Mar 1, 2024

31:09

This one is an hour and 21 minutes long. I watched it in segments but there really isn't anything to see. You can listen in one tab, surf the forum in a different tab.

Building a $100M Gasoline Empire - Chris Hellgeth aka Gas Biz Guy - Owner @ Vi-Mac​

Chris Hellgeth is the owner of Vi-Mac, Atlanta’s hometown gasoline transportation company, which services approximately 1000+ gas stations throughout the State of Georgia.

We discuss:
- The economics of the gas station business
- Chris’ career: the rise, the fall, and the comeback
- How to flip gas stations
- Where gas stations stand in an EV world

Topics:
00:00:00 - Intro
00:00:40 - The family gas business and Chris’ early life
00:07:37 - How is money made in gas stations?
00:11:03 - The perfect site for a gas station
00:12:46 - What is ‘great service’ in gas stations?
00:16:21 - What are the anchor products in the shop?
00:21:48 - Buying 25% of the family business
00:23:50 - The economics of check cashing
00:26:36 - Growing the business
00:33:18 - Making mistakes
00:40:55 - The light at the end of the tunnel
00:50:30 - How do you flip a gas station?
00:53:11 - Selling the business
01:01:55 - Gas station crime
01:04:25 - The trucking business
01:06:44 - Management philosophies
01:07:48 - Running a great trucking company
01:10:13 - The gasoline supply chain
01:11:10 - What do you see as disruptive to the gas station industry?
01:16:21 - Environmental processes
01:18:31 - The video poker industry

Links:
Chris on X: / gas_biz
'Fuel for Thought' Newsletter: https://gasbizguy.beehiiv.com/subscribe

Why Being CHEAP Is Important​

Being cheap sometimes can be a good thing. Let's talk about how...

12:26

01:18 It’s The Only Way You Will Get In A Better Situation
02:08 It Allows You To Fully Attack Getting In A Better Situation
03:14 It Makes Progress A Lot Quicker
04:12 It’s Just A Temporary Tool
05:07 It’s A Fair Trade
06:10 It Forces You To Take Responsibility Over Your Situation
07:18 It Forces You To Learn How To Be More Resourceful With Money
09:01 It Forces You To See The Difference Between A Wants And A Need
10:00 You See The Beauty of Not Being Cheap
10:56 You Gain The Confidence That Anything Is Possible

Nearly half of young adults have ‘money dysmorphia,’ survey finds. Here are the symptoms​

• Social media has put a new spin on keeping up with the Joneses.
  • Exposure to glorified lifestyles online has left many people, especially young adults, feeling financially inadequate, even if they’re doing relatively well, reports show.
Overwhelming evidence suggests social media has a negative effect on self-esteem.

That’s not only true for how people feel about their appearance and social status, but also their financial well-being and economic standing.

A new term, “money dysmorphia,” aims to describe the distorted view of one’s finances that nearly one-third, or 29%, of Americans say they now experience, according to a recent report by Credit Karma, often from comparing their financial situation to others’ and feeling inadequate.

More:

At 25, he decided he didn't want to be stuck in a job forever. Here's how he was able to retire by 36.​

• Yaron Goldstein achieved financial independence at the age of 36.
  • Goldstein's strategy included mindful spending and investing a big portion of his income.
  • He follows the 4% rule, which is common in the FIRE (financial independence, retire early) community.
Yaron Goldstein was 25 when he decided to start working toward financial independence.

Goldstein was working toward a Ph.D. in computational and advanced mathematics in Berlin, his hometown. While on a research internship in New York City in 2010, he connected with a Wall Street investment advisor who would become his unofficial mentor.

His mentor gave him a list of what he considered "required reading." The list included Tim Ferriss' "4-Hour Workweek" and Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers.'"

From his readings, Goldstein started to think about how happiness and money are related.

"This guy is making quite a good case for: Maybe 40 years from now, I don't want to be the guy who focuses his whole life on doing a career," he said about his reaction to reading Ferriss' book.

More:

He retired at 36 to avoid the rat race — and he's busier than ever. Here's how he structures his days.​

• Yaron Goldstein retired at 36 after a career in data science.
  • Goldstein keeps busy in retirement by pursuing hobbies and planning time for family and friends.
  • He also recently re-enrolled into college.
Yaron Goldstein retired at 36.

It's not uncommon for early retirees to experience some lifestyle shock. Upon quitting the workforce, some people realize they crave the social interaction that comes from a 9-to-5, find they are budgeting too hard, or struggle with going from having a packed calendar to having lots of unstructured time.

After a career in data science that took him from Boston Consulting Group to Google and Meta, Goldstein, too, was worried about not being fulfilled once he stopped working. But nine months into retirement, he says his hobbies and passions keep him more than busy.

"I honestly don't know how I lived a year in the past," he told Business Insider. "Because even now I'm struggling with getting enough hours out of each day, getting enough days out of each week."

More:

Back
Top Bottom