US debt ceiling, gov shutdown and Speaker of the House fight

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Round 2 is scheduled for today. Scuttlebut on Twitter is that Jordan will likely end up with less votes today than he had yesterday. His pressure campaign targeting Rep spouses appears to be backfiring.

also...

Round 2 is scheduled for today. Scuttlebut on Twitter is that Jordan will likely end up with less votes today than he had yesterday. His pressure campaign targeting Rep spouses appears to be backfiring.

also...

He's right at least, none of those No voters will ever win again.

Round two underway already... Voting in alphabetical order.. Through the letter "C" and already 4 no votes. Jordan will fail again (and likely by a larger margin than last time).

209 Jeffries
198jordan

Edit for non voters:

212 Jefferies
199 jordan

Jordan has 22 no votes ATM. Worse than yesterday.

That is my intuition. McHenry will probably end up with the job even though he does not want it.

Budget? Will we get one or does .gov shut down?

If we get a Speaker this week, I would expect a CR or omnibus bill in the next couple of weeks. There isn't enough time to process 8 appropriations bills with due consideration.

Can't have a new system unless we get people willing to work together. Not all, but a lot of the people we have now never heard of teamwork. They are in the highest position of their incompetence. Party over country. Not good.

We haven't had a budget passed since the 90s. That's never gonna change until we get a new system.
When was the last time the US budget was passed on time?

The last time Congress completed all bills on time was 20 years ago, in 1996

What's on for today?

Another try for jordan? If he doesn't win, will he claim it's rigged?

Will Jeffries get the gavel?

Will the pitchforks come out for gaetz?

Round 3.
Yes. No.
No.
No.

~~~

From what I've read, Jordan's support is cratering. He will get even less votes on round 3. He will be pressured to step aside and let someone else try to bring the divided GOP House back together.

There was talk of trying to expand McHenry's pro tem powers, but it's a murky Constitutional issue. Congress is supposed to elect a Speaker. Avoiding that responsibility is uncharted waters and dangerous precedent. I don't think that will fly.

I suspect the House GOP will eventually (maybe round 4 or 5) get around to proposing a moderate that is palatable to the Dems (perhaps even make some concessions to them) and the Dems will vote "present" in sufficient numbers to change the victory vote requirement and allow the GOP to elect their speaker over the objections of the MAGA 8.

It would appear that Jordan's quest has come to end.

There will be no vote for House speaker on Thursday, two sources confirmed to CBS News, with Rep. Jim Jordan instead temporarily backing empowering Speaker Pro Tempore Patrick McHenry.

Jordan intends to keep running for speaker and try to shore up votes until January, according to a source familiar with Jordan's thinking. He remains the Republican nominee for speaker, and he is not dropping his bid. In the meantime, he will back empowering McHenry through Jan. 3.

lol. Jordan is delusional.

They should make it a revolving seat.

Ie: let each congressman do it for one week. Starting with whoever has been in congress the least amount of time, working your way up from there.
If there is two or more with equal time served, it goes alphabetically by the last letter in their middle names.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. It would garner enough votes because they'd all eventually get to be speaker AND it plays to their own grandiose delusions of greatness.

Btw, ideas like that is why I pull down the big bux. Lol

McHenry is out (or so I've herd)
New vote around 10 today

Maybe jordan will get less than before, then again, we have all sorts of death threats.
Heard peeps not at all happy with gaetz. Will someone cold cock him today?

How will congress deal with Biden's proposed $100 billion foreign aid package? Is there any money in that package for Americans?

I expect Jordan is going to have less support than before. Last I heard, it was likely the house will expand McHenry's authority as Pro Tem.

How will congress deal with Biden's proposed $100 billion foreign aid package? Is there any money in that package for Americans?
No money for America. It's a foreign aid package or if your a DC insider, it's a money laundering scheme to transfer money from American taxpayers into politicians war chest for re election via shell companies.

mccarthy slinging shit big time. Praising jordan. Wonder if he took acting lessons?

Jordan loses round 3. 25 no votes this time. 4th round possible today. They have not yet adjourned.

With just a bit of luck, this shit might actually end up taking until after the '24 election.

Hey, I can still dream, right? Lol

House Republicans voted to drop Rep. Jim Jordan as their nominee to become the next speaker after he failed to win a majority three times this week, sending the party back to the drawing board.

The House Republican Conference voted on whether Jordan should remain the nominee in a closed-door meeting following an earlier vote on the House floor that made clear his support was eroding.

Voting by secret ballot, 86 members said Jordan should remain in the race, and 112 said he shouldn't, according to one lawmaker who was in the room.

At least eight people have emerged as potential candidates to lead the House immediately after a closed-door House GOP vote on whether to keep Jordan as speaker designate.

Republicans are expected to meet behind closed doors on Monday evening for a candidate forum before a conference-wide election via secret anonymous ballot on Tuesday.

From the link:

A deal to avoid a government shutdown over deeper spending cut demands from Republican hardliners led to the ouster of U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Kevin McCarthy, and the party is still divided over who should lead them, which is expected to make negotiations ahead of a new fiscal deadline in mid-November more difficult.

I listened a bit as C-Span took calls from people after one of the Speaker votes. There are a lot of elderly people who want the House in order, but have zero clue about the dynamics in play.

Lotta commentary on today's news fees. Nothing worth posting.

There's like 24 days to elect a speaker, come to some sort of agreement on paying the bills and send bookoo American bucks to Israel and Ukraine.

Will they git er done?

Back
Top Bottom