US debt ceiling, gov shutdown and Speaker of the House fight

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

There's like 24 days to elect a speaker, come to some sort of agreement on paying the bills and send bookoo American bucks to Israel and Ukraine. ...

You think these chumps are going to work weekends or overtime to meet a deadline? There are 19 weekdays (including today) before Nov 17. But House Reps only really work Tues-Thur. They generally travel Mondays and Fridays. That leaves 12 days of sessions on the floor to get stuff done.

I think the Speaker election drags on as they aren't close to any consensus yet. Most likely, the Senate is going to hammer out their version of bills for the needed funding issues and the House will end up either agreeing (no shutdown) or not (shut it down).

You think these chumps are going to work weekends or overtime
I read this earlier and just thought of the timeline.

Don't know why, but just now I thought of the word "chumps."

These people get pretty good pay, have some neat bennies, get to go to some cool breeze places at taxpayers expense, help make laws that effect all of us, act in kabuki theater (that we all watch) and kick cans down the road nonstop while raking in doe ray me contributions from all sorts of self interest groups.

Makes me wonder who the real chumps are 🤔

Republican lawmakers on Tuesday nominated Rep. Tom Emmer of Minnesota for speaker of the House of Representatives, the third candidate they have selected in recent weeks after the previous two nominees failed to secure enough votes.

Emmer, the Republican majority whip, prevailed over a crowded field of eight GOP candidates after several rounds of voting Tuesday morning. Interim Speaker Patrick McHenry has said the nominee could face a vote before the House floor as soon as Tuesday.

Are they going to vote on the floor today? They seem to have a sense of urgency about it now.

Noting concrete but heard Emmer might not have the votes.

There is no way he has the votes. he only had like 115 in R vote. How exactly do you think he gets 217? Other than another commie pulls a fire alarm.

There were 25 or so holdouts on Emmer. Supposedly some of his 7 children were threatened (rumor). He's pulled out. Holdouts want Mike Johnson, but he won't get the votes either. I really don't think there is anyone that 217 GOP reps will agree on. It's looking more and more to me like the GOP is going to splinter and the Dems are going to end up with a functional majority in the House.

It's looking more and more to me like the GOP is going to splinter and the Dems are going to end up with a functional majority in the House.
As it is now, most of the republicans are just democrats in disguise.

Only a pitiful few of them have any desire to run government as the Constitution intended it to be run.

Mike Johnson is the new nominee.

McCarthy has said he do it again if Jordan could be assistant speaker (I'm not shitting you.)

Voting now. From what I see it's a straight up vote, no "others" so far. Could be wrong but I think Johnson may get in.

Well that sucks. I was hoping that for once they would finally show the American public what they are truly made of.

House Republicans on Thursday passed a sprawling partisan energy plan, the first funding bill approved on the floor since the lower chamber ousted its Speaker more than three weeks ago.

The measure passed in 210-199 vote Thursday afternoon, with just one Republican no vote. It is only the second piece of legislation to cross the floor after the House installed Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) on Wednesday.

At this point political parties do not matter anymore. We now move into swamp creature and non-swamp. Better learn to speak Chinese and enjoy hot, humid cesspools.

To early to call for sure but so far I think Johnson was a good pick. I don't agree with him on everything. Abortion is one of those issues. Regardless of his or my personal beliefs it is not a federal issue and should be decided at the state level.

I do agree with him on the spending issues. It's time for a change. For far to long the politicians in DC have been lining their own pockets at the expense of the taxpayers. 33 trillion in debt is destroying this country and severely harming the people in it. Meanwhile in DC they have all loaded up their portfolios with MIC stocks in anticipation of more war spending. Let them lose for a change. When they lose the American people win.

We really need to elect more people that work for US and not just worry about getting rich off of us.

Lotta politicos talking about Israel, Ukraine, the IRS, amounts of $$$, conditions, etc. Landfall nowhere in sight.

The House GOP released a $14.3 billion standalone measure on Monday that would pay for aid to Israel by cutting the same amount in funding that was allocated to the IRS under the Inflation Reduction Act, one of President Biden's signature pieces of legislation.

Source:

From what I read, it's not going to pass the Senate much less get a Biden signature.

I like the stand alone funding bills. Every penny they spend should be allocated in the same way. Transparentcy for the American people to see where the money is really going.

From what I read, it's not going to pass the Senate much less get a Biden signature.
Thats ok too. Giving tax payer dollars away shouldn't be an easy task. If the US stopped funding every war we wouldn't have many wars.

I like the stand alone funding bills. Every penny they spend should be allocated in the same way. Transparentcy for the American people to see where the money is really going.
All Bills should be single-subject. Not writing that into the Constitution was one of the Founders biggest mistakes.

Mike Johnson‘s new role as House speaker heightens the chances of a major political clash next year over one of the nation’s largest welfare programs and the government’s preeminent aid package for farmers and rural America.

The fallout is likely to reverberate in countless congressional races, not to mention President Joe Biden’s attempts to win back rural voters in the 2024 presidential race.

WASHINGTON, Nov 7 (Reuters) - Republicans who control the U.S. House of Representatives showed no sign on Tuesday of coalescing around a government funding plan to keep federal agencies open, just 10 days before Congress faces its next shutdown deadline.

Republican lawmakers, who hold a slim 221-212 House majority, met behind closed doors to debate options on how to structure a stopgap measure known as a continuing resolution, or "CR," that would temporarily fund the government after current funding expires on Nov. 17.

Eight days, will they pass something?

Eight days, will they pass something? ...

giphy.webp

House Republicans pulled a floor vote on another one of their government funding bills on Thursday, the latest sign of Speaker Mike Johnson’s legislative troubles as he navigates the same disputes that vexed his predecessor.

After voting on dozens of amendments to the measure, GOP leaders again punted on one of the 12 funding bills that Johnson vowed to complete before the Nov. 17 government shutdown deadline. With eight days until federal funding expires, the House is adjourning for Veterans’ Day weekend — stunted once more by the ongoing Republican tug of war over how deeply to cut spending and whether to wade into controversial debates like a person’s right to use birth control without losing their job.

Speaker Mike Johnson privately conceded this week that Republicans may not succeed in further slashing the nation’s massive food assistance program for low-income Americans, according to two GOP lawmakers present at a closed-door meeting with Johnson.

Shrinking the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, is a top priority for hard-right conservatives and until now has been a priority of Johnson’s. Backing off some of the House GOP’s most severe plans for the program sets up a potential clash with some of Johnson’s fellow Republicans who are pushing the new speaker to secure steep new restrictions and spending cuts across SNAP in the upcoming farm bill reauthorization.

Yea cut snap because making people go hungry is far more important than buying 100 million dollar fighter jets.

How about we cut Congress per diem food budget to be in line with what snap benefits are. Congress critters get 79.00 a day t eat out or around 2400 a month. In comparison their constituents get 190 a month or something like that. Like 6.33 a day.

The difference of course is that congress critters also have lobbyists buying them dinners and 300 dollar bottle of wines on a regular basis. unofficially of course.

I'd also like to see across the board pay cuts for government employees as well as a 10% reduction in gov employees on an annual basis.
How about a moratorium on immigration or (Refugees) We fly them in at a cost of 17k per plus monthly expenses totaling over 4400 a month last I heard. I'm fairly certain we have some wiggle room in there.

Give me a month with the federal budget and I am sure I could cut at least a trillion a year and no one would notice.

House Republicans have pulled their spending bill for the second time this week, abandoning the massive cuts to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) proposed by the annual funding legislation.

GOP leadership pulled the bill moments before a House vote on Thursday after determining there wouldn't be enough Republican support to pass the legislation. The move is the latest amid an intraparty struggle to unite the conference behind the conservative package, which included clawing back more than $10 billion in IRS funding.

Back
Top Bottom