The Lunatic Fringe - Market and Trade Chat

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

$63 Billion seems like a lot but that's spread around the world and Bonds are priced in big chunks. Wonder what the average trading volume is for say a US 5 year treasury. I think it's more of a signal to the world that it's go time and time to dump the USD.
I don't disagree but what are the options? Where is the world going to park trillions of dollars. In my mind, that's the real problem, there is nowhere else to go.

... Where is the world going to park trillions of dollars. ...
donald-duck-vault.gif

I don't disagree but what are the options? Where is the world going to park trillions of dollars. In my mind, that's the real problem, there is nowhere else to go.
a reverse split like stocks??

Spot silver should hold the line or rise a few cents through the quad witching today I expect

George breaks it all down...

This Globally Systemic Bank Just Went Into Crisis Mode (Derivatives)​

Are we near the top?

... Consider General Electric Co. (GE), which was one of the non-tech darlings of the late 1990s. Jack Welch, who was regarded as the superstar CEO of the day, demanded that division managers become either No. 1 or 2 in their business lines. If it failed to achieve those goals, the division was either shut down or sold.

Division managers who couldn't make the numbers tried the old trick of financialization: GE would lend a customer money to buy its products and round-tripped the funds to inflate sales. The maneuver worked so well that GE Capital was born. GE Capital, in its efforts to achieve top-two status in its industry, lent to anything that moved. It wasn't just aircraft engines, but emerging-market loans and subprime mortgages. GE Capital became bigger than the industrial divisions of the company and eventually blew up; GE CEO Jeff Immelt announced the divestment of GE Capital in 2014, and eventually its parts were sold off over the next two years.

Today's tech giants are buying equity in companies and round-tripping the funds to boost sales.

It's happening again. Instead of vendor financing, today's tech giants are buying equity in companies and round-tripping the funds to boost sales. Amazon.com Inc.'s (AMZN) investment in Anthropic and Nvidia's investment in CoreWeave are just two of the most visible examples of financialization. ...

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.

No Way Financial System Survives - Bill Holter​

Spot silver is likely not going to have any upward momentum today.

Lie to me more daddy...

Newest Early Jobs Revision Shows No Net Job Growth During 2023

Over the last few days, there's been a good bit of media reporting on the Japanese Yen and I only gave those headlines a cursory look. Maybe I should have been paying more attention...
... Looks like raising rates is causing some of the "Yen carry trade" to unwind - or at least not to encourage sustained levels.

... Large Japanese bank will be dumping foreign bonds (like you know, ours).

The market is testing Japanese officials... and so far it's winning...

Reaffirming its constant stance of jawboning over actual intervention, Vice Finance Minister Masato Kanda said late Wednesday that the government is watching the yen with a high level of urgency as he described the currency’s latest moves as “rapid” and “one sided.”
The yen weakness sent the dollar higher and triggered selling in Gold...

Japan has acknowledged it spent ¥9.8 trillion ($61.3 billion) intervening in currency markets between April 26 and May 29.
Data on foreign reserves suggest Japan sold Treasuries to fund these actions.

Japan is the largest foreign holder of UST. If they are being forced to sell UST to support the Yen, who is buying the UST?

The Commerce Department announced on Thursday that U.S. durable goods orders increased 0.1% last month, following April’s downwardly revised 0.2% rise. The data was better than expected as economists were looking for a -0.1% decrease.

Atlanta Federal Reserve Bank President Raphael Bostic said Thursday that he is sticking with his forecast of one quarter-point interest-rate cut this year, sometime in the October-December quarter.

“Taking all the circumstances into account, I continue to believe conditions will likely call for a cut in the federal funds rate in the fourth quarter of the year,” Bostic said in a new essay published on his regional bank’s website.

If conditions unfold as I expect—orderly slowing in the labor market and in economic activity—then inflation should fall all the way to 2 percent in 2025 or perhaps a bit later.

Even as 2 percent is the unquestioned target, it is important to note that inflation need not get all the way to target for me to favor reducing restrictiveness in monetary policy. If the Committee waits that long, it risks sapping too much momentum from the economy and labor market and creating unnecessary and harsh disruptions.

Rather than holding the federal funds rate steady until we are at the target, I would favor reducing the policy rate once I gain additional confidence that we are clearly on the path to the 2 percent objective.

What would provide that confidence? I am looking in particular for progress in shelter prices and services prices more broadly. ...

Silver in China (SFE/SGE) is rising again - around $33.50/toz currently.

'Roaring Kitty' is sued for alleged GameStop manipulation​

NEW YORK, July 1 (Reuters) - Keith Gill, the investor known as "Roaring Kitty" who helped spur the meme stock mania of 2021, was sued by GameStop (GME.N), opens new tab investors who said they lost money through his "pump-and-dump" scheme for the videogame retailer.

A proposed class action accusing Gill of securities fraud was filed on Friday in the Brooklyn, New York federal court.

Investors led by Martin Radev, who lives in the Las Vegas area, said Gill manipulated GameStop securities between May 13 and June 13 by quietly accumulating large quantities of stock and call options, and then dumping some holdings after emerging from a three-year social media hiatus.

More:

'Roaring Kitty' is sued for alleged GameStop manipulation​

NEW YORK, July 1 (Reuters) - Keith Gill, the investor known as "Roaring Kitty" who helped spur the meme stock mania of 2021, was sued by GameStop (GME.N), opens new tab investors who said they lost money through his "pump-and-dump" scheme for the videogame retailer.

A proposed class action accusing Gill of securities fraud was filed on Friday in the Brooklyn, New York federal court.

Investors led by Martin Radev, who lives in the Las Vegas area, said Gill manipulated GameStop securities between May 13 and June 13 by quietly accumulating large quantities of stock and call options, and then dumping some holdings after emerging from a three-year social media hiatus.

More:

Already dismissed. Those who filed are the ones manipulating prices.

Looks like spot silver is starting to close the gap with the price in China (SFE/SGE). China price closed at ~$33.30 this morning, so if spot maintains a 10% deficit range, spot should climb to around $30.30. I'm interested to see if it does.

The gold market is trading near session highs on Wednesday morning as job creation among private employers slowed for the third straight month, according to private sector payrolls processor ADP.

On Wednesday, ADP announced that 150,000 jobs were created in June. The report was below expectations as consensus forecasts called for job gains of 170,000. May’s figure was also revised upward to 157,000 from the initial reading of 152,000.

“Job growth has been solid, but not broad-based,” said Nela Richardson, chief economist, ADP. “Had it not been for a rebound in hiring in leisure and hospitality, June would have been a downbeat month.”

More:

BREAKING: Unprecedented Moves In The DOLLAR Is Causing Panic​

Silver closed up a few more cents in China (above $34). Are markets in USA open today?

This is a pretty good interview. They also talk about the downside of Bitcoin starting around the 10 minute mark. What he saw as red flags there in the ETF's and promos.

The closing price of silver in China (SFE/SGE) increased slightly for the last 3 days in a row. Looks like spot played a bit of catch up today. I posted updated vault totals for June, however, I'm really curious to see what the SGE weekly vault update will show on Monday. The vault flow for SFE has been volatile this week.

Back
Top Bottom