The Lunatic Fringe - Market and Trade Chat

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ever wonder how much money would have flowed into gold and silver if it weren't for bitcoin?
Is it possible that bitcoin was created as part of the manipulation?

I don't think it started that way but it certainly took away from gold and silver when they should have been the focus. Now, I think Bitcoin is absolutely controlled and manipulated. Every time the markets start to wobble and they need liquidity Boom Bitcoin magically explodes by thousands, ya sure that's totally normal.

"Someone blew up an H bomb today, but it wasn't anybody I knew." Moody Blues

Liking Uraniums and the miners with a stop under yesterday's lows.

Stocks fell Wednesday as a pullback in shares of Google-parent Alphabet led the broader tech space lower.
Tech stocks were largely under pressure following Alphabet's third-quarter results a day earlier. Alphabet shares tumbled more than 8% as its cloud business missed analysts' estimates, overshadowing its revenue growth and earnings beat. ...

iShares Russell 2000 ETF is testing the 2022 lows. And has a look that it might like to break down below them.

[Weekly chart shown.]

IWM_2023-10-25_10-41-29.png

Could be a problem...?

The fed gov doesn't have a problem. People who pay taxes do. Ultimately it is them who will have to pay.
Who do they screw 1st? The welfare recipients? probably not. More than likely they get rid of SS 1st. Nothing but a special tax anyway and everyone will keep on paying and finally the lier in DC will admit the truth. Supreme Court has already made that ruling.
After they stop paying out SS benefits then they will go after welfare peeps. Just in those 2 items there's 2 trillion a year. Anyone still working can also pay a lot more in taxes. Up to 100% of their income. Wouldn't be popular but 90% has been done before. Back in the 50's I think it was. Thats when people still knew that income wasn't what you were paid but what you earned on capital. Few had to pay that 90% tax and that's why it is seldom mentioned. However today they could say there is precedence for a tax rate that high because they did it before.

Last edited:
The gold market continues to trade near session lows, briefly dipping below $1975 this morning after the U.S. manufacturing sector saw much stronger than expected activity last month.

On Thursday, the Commerce Department said that U.S. durable goods orders rose by 4.7% or $13.2 billion in September, following August’s revised 0.1% decrease. The data was far stronger than expected as economists were looking for an increase of 1.7%.

This marks the most substantial monthly increase in durable goods orders since July 2020, and the overwhelming majority of the strength was concentrated in the transportation sector, they said.

Core durable goods, which exclude the volatile transportation sector, increased only 0.5%, the same as August’s revised increase of 0.5%. The core numbers were also stronger than expected, however, as economists were looking to see a 0.2% increase.

The gold market sold off following the data, which was released at the same time as advance Q3 GDP, which also surprised to the upside, and the precious metal is still trading near session lows. Spot gold last traded at $1,975.83 an ounce, down 0.21% on the session after hitting a low of $1,974.73 in the minutes following the release.

More support for "higher for longer".

Doom!
... Michael Gayed, a portfolio manager at Tidal Financial who offers trading strategies via the Lead Lag Report, and Michael Kramer, founder of Mott Capital Management. They posted a discussion on Wednesday that spoke of an “imminent market crash.”

“What we’re seeing in Treasurys should make a lot of people nervous. I’ve never seen anything like it, and I’ve been following this market since the mid-90s,” said Kramer, who recently discussed how the new bull market was already over.
He said the surge in Treasury yields may be “near the end,” but there may be a bit to go. Kramer also told subscribers on Wednesday that the S&P 500 decline “doesn’t look complete yet,” and 4,115 can’t be ruled out.

One chart Kramer has been focused on for a while is shown here, and in follow-up comments he tells MarketWatch that he suspects, as he has for a while, that the S&P 500 has been in the grips of a long bear market rally, rather than the start of a new bull market:
So after the crash in Treasurys, Gayed is on guard for Part 2, when “credit spreads blow out and stocks collapse.” Note, that widening credit spreads indicate looming defaults.

“If I’m right, the mother of all short squeezes is still set to come in Treasurys, and people suddenly realize too late they were tricked into a narrative around AI and a ‘bull market’ that in reality made them exit liquidity,” he wrote on Seeking Alpha.

A decent proxy for the silver miners just looks terrible to me. I see the chart and I see the support nearby but you have to wonder what is going to make these stocks rally and stay up. The world is burning and Gold still trades a hundo below the August 2020 top. Silver forget I think at this point it might be trading more like an industrial metal. Maybe we need to wait till next year for a good bottom I have no clue. At this point I would rather be on the sidelines and miss a rally than get my head handed to me buying in size here. So there's your buy signal.

... The world is burning and Gold still trades a hundo below the August 2020 top. ...
A good part of that is strong dollar related. Gold is trading at new all time highs in many non-USD currencies.

A good part of that is strong dollar related. Gold is trading at new all time highs in many non-USD currencies.
Same thing last go around during the '00's. The Dollar is the one we need to see break out decisively.

Doom! ...

More Doom!

The rout in the bond market is signaling that investors are fed up with massive debt levels, according to James Lavish, Managing Partner at Bitcoin Opportunity Fund, who is warning of a potential systemic credit event, which would trigger another massive liquidity dump by the Federal Reserve.
Once the next credit event hits the markets, gold and Bitcoin have "tremendous upside potential," according to Lavish.

"The credit event would be a situation where you have a high probability of contagion from counterparty risk between large banks or large institutions. It would force a market sell-off in virtually everything," Lavish said

The first thing that will happen is a drop in largely all assets, including gold and Bitcoin, which will be followed by a strong rally.

A decent proxy for the silver miners just looks terrible to me. I see the chart and I see the support nearby but you have to wonder what is going to make these stocks rally and stay up. The world is burning and Gold still trades a hundo below the August 2020 top. Silver forget I think at this point it might be trading more like an industrial metal. Maybe we need to wait till next year for a good bottom I have no clue. At this point I would rather be on the sidelines and miss a rally than get my head handed to me buying in size here. So there's your buy signal.
Lancers, I share your sentiment. But let’s run the current situation through Occam’s Razor.
Gold and silver markets are manipulated lower.
This creates financial hardship for miners.
Financial hardship is not profitable.
People don’t invest in non-profitable stocks.

So in other words, I firmly believe the precious metal markets are a proxy by which mining stocks will be intentionally crashed in the future.
The manipulators know that current prices barely keep the lights on in small and mid-cap miners. Should a recession, depression, war or other force majeure occur, the impending commodity crash will turn most miners into penny-stock.

Rothschild rule number one, buy when there’s blood in the streets.
Personally, I’m sitting in cash until we get this WW3 bullshit underway. And so are the big boys. . .

Who knows? I always thought there was a slight chance they would nationalize the mines. But what you say is possible.

Here is an easier way, or maybe not easier but far more likely to survive in both circumstances. I own a lot of miners right now. But a crash certainly is possible. However, there is No way in hell I want to be left behind if PM's get revalued essentially overnight. So hedge with puts / shorts in other areas of the market. I have some SPY puts, XHB put spread, RCL puts etc. Perhaps even some SLV puts if you really think they can crash silver to even the crypto guys dream of $6.

Low odds on an overnite revaluation. I don't need to always be in. It costs nothing to get in and out these days. 40 years ago it cost $35 bucks a turn back in the day a few hundred. In the meantime it seems like dead money.

Markets could be closed, exchanges shut down, power out, ie... Just as much risk there as some temporary paper loses to me. However, I am losing time and some money on longer term call options. I am more than willing to pay that price.

Markets could be closed, exchanges shut down, power out, ie... Just as much risk there as some temporary paper loses to me. However, I am losing time and some money on longer term call options. I am more than willing to pay that price.

I wish you luck but I can't place a bet on something with outsized odds like that.

Back
Top Bottom