The Lunatic Fringe - Market and Trade Chat

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sounds like he's following in Trump's footsteps... he did the same thing!
Trump is up front about being a phony and isn't out there pumping metals. He's not responsible. While the banks might be screwing me I was brought up not to screw them. Kurosawa is full of shit plain and simple.

When the December jobs report is released Friday morning, markets will be looking for a number that hits a sweet spot between not so robust as to trigger more interest rate hikes and not so slow as to raise worries about the economy.

In market jargon, that quest for the middle is sometimes referred to as a “Goldilocks” number — not too hot, not too cold — that can be difficult to find.

Markets might be volatile pending the morning report...

It's a comfort knowing these 'numbers' released by government are honest and true....

It's a comfort knowing these 'numbers' released by government are honest and true....

The government Census beureo has been on my arse to fill out some of their retarded surveys. Well the one I filled out my comment at the end was... We all know accurate data is not your goal.

If anything, I think numbers were released to the high side to quell market anticipation of early rate cuts. The Fed needs to change market sentiment to help temper inflation.

Friday’s earlier selloff of Treasurys was suddenly interrupted by a weaker-than-expected report from the Institute for Supply Management, which triggered a round of buying and sent the benchmark 10-year yield back below 4%.
Data released on Friday showed that the U.S. economy stumbled at the end of last year, based on ISM’s survey of business conditions at service-oriented companies. The survey dropped to 50.6% in December from 52.7% in the prior month. While still above the 50% threshold that’s seen as positive for the economy, it came in below the 52.5% level expected by economists polled by The Wall Street Journal.

ISM’s data was enough to reverse sentiment in the bond market and overshadow an unexpectedly hot jobs report. ...

U.S. Money Supply Hasn't Done This Since the Great Depression, and It Usually Signals a Big Move to Come in Stocks​

Historically speaking, M2 has risen at a relatively steady pace for more than 150 years. As the U.S. economy grows, more capital is required to facilitate transactions. But in those rare instances where M2 notably declines, trouble has followed.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2024/01/07/money-supply-great-depression-big-move-in-stocks/

The global economy is on course to record its worst half decade of growth in 30 years, according to the World Bank.

Global growth is forecast to slow for the third year in a row in 2024, dipping to 2.4% from 2.6% in 2023, the organization said in its latest "Global Economic Prospects" report released Tuesday.

Growth is then expected to rise marginally to 2.7% in 2025, though acceleration over the five-year period will remain almost three-quarters of a percentage point below the average rate of the 2010s.

And despite the global economy proving resilient in the face of recessionary risks in 2023, increased geopolitical tensions will present fresh near-term challenges, the organization said, leaving most economies set to grow more slowly in 2024 and 2025 than they did in the previous decade

Not included in the World Bank forecast is the possibility of a widespread banking crisis.

tenor.gif

By that I mean, gold could fall another $100. Who knows how low gdx could go. Maybe back to the teens as awful as the miners have been performing.

Any members heard from “Z”. Has been many months since last visit. Hope he’s ok

Nope. I'm starting to think we should have kept Louky. Atleast he was fairly regular, even if he was brash.

*cough* look here *cough*

Headline Consumer Price Inflation printed hotter than expected in December, +0.3% MoM vs +0.2% exp and +0.1% prior, pushing the YoY headline CPI up to +3.4% (from +3.1% prior and hotter than the +3.2% exp).
More problematically for The Fed (and the rate-cut 'hypers'), is the fact that Core CPI Services Ex-Shelter (SuperCore) rose 0.4% MoM, upticking the YoY rise to +4.09%...

This is a category that Fed Chair Jerome Powell and other policymakers have highlighted as a focus.

Pretty sure he left on his own. He had Pump and Dumper written all over his stuff and probably didn't like being called out.
Very unfair characterization of a long time poster.

Looks like the metals are up this morning while the dollar index is also up. I guess the US and UK strikes in Yemen are driving some global instability metals interest.

Prices for things we Must have are accelerating (ie food) prices for crap we don't need (junk from China) are declining. This is the start of Hyper-Inflation/Deflation, depending on the bankers choice.

When gold's direction looks uncertain, I find it helpful to look at other currencies.
Gold in aussie $is looking good. Breaking out of consolidation pattern, should target $3350-3400 in aussie dollars. Euro still undecided. Regardless of the currency, I wouldn't buy this upward move until we make it above the most recent high a few weeks ago. (3,100 aussie)
gold-AUD.png
gold-eur.png

Not as if they buy each others share now is it...?

Coke Or Pepsi? Most Of Coke’s Shareholders Don’t Care​

Retail investors make up 28% of Coca-Cola’s shareholders – a large number. These investors are part of team Coca-Cola; they are unlikely to hold PepsiCoPEP +0.7% stock and want Coca-Cola to outperform.

Short-term hedge funds hold another 6% of Coca-Cola’s shares. These investors are trading the stock or the price pattern but are not thinking about Coca-Cola’s specific long-term successes or failures.

Index funds hold about 25% of Coca-Cola’s shares. These funds hold both Coca-Cola and PepsiCo in line with their weights in the relevant index. They would likely prefer that both firms do well but have no preference if one were to outperform the other.

Back
Top Bottom