The Lunatic Fringe - Market and Trade Chat

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well one could go back as far as the War of 1812.

Yes, there was a war, but why did it start?

The First National Bank charter ended in 1811.

Ol' Ironsides (Andrew Jackson) fought in the War of 1812.

Andrew Jackson ran for POTUS 1829 to 1837 serving twice.

He famously 'killed the bank'. Afterwards the US experienced a 'Golden Period' where money was plentiful and 'stuff' got done!

1860 Lincoln created the green-backed dollar - a competing currency to the banker's fiat to fund the Civl War aka The Cotton Wars. That's why he was assassinated, not because he "freed the slaves" as was taught when I was in school.

The Act of 1871 created THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA corporation. Read all about it: http://usavsus.info/

Two other assassinations of note were Garfield 1881 and McKinley 1901 - neither of which were 'friendly' toward the banks. BTW they always use some rogue lone nut job in all the assassinations.

Interestingly, the decade of the 1890's were tumultuous regarding a bi-metalic standard of money.

Afterwards, in 1901 Frank Baum wrote "The Wizard of Oz" which dealt with the much discussed bi-metalic standard in a fanciful children's story that Hollywood later produced into a motion picture money maker. Hollywood also changed Dorothy's 'silver' slippers in the book into 'ruby red' because of the 'new' film's ability to enhance color. Never mind that 'silver' is ALSO a color... thus forever removing in the consciousness of the people the relationship of gold and silver as presented in the book.

In the movie the Good Witch tells Dorothy she had the power to return home all along: "Just tap the heels of your SILVER slippers together three times and you can go 'home'"

"Home" being the metaphor for financial freedom. Silver being the key to financial security for 'we' the little people.

FFWD to 1963 JFK where they took him out execution style in public and then covered it all up. JFK directed the Treasury to print US Notes backed by the strategic silver reserves of the United States.

1964 LBJ undid that executive order saying "Silver was too expensive to be used as money."

1971 Nixon temporarily removed the gold backing for nations and we've been floating on an ocean of fiat ever since.

Following the history of money reveals the plot over time much better than memorizing unrelated dates and figures.

Lahaina Fire .... FUCK NO!

Explain to me what natural fire gets to 900C (aluminium melting temp) in the open (try it in your backyard, it isn't easy) then only melts the rim of the mag leaving the centre in place unmelted. THEN doesn't peel the paint or pop the tires on a car one space away. This is a sealed area that the kid filmed so I doubt it drove in later.

Screenshot from 2023-08-28 06-48-18.pngScreenshot from 2023-08-28 06-52-29.png

Last edited:
Its NOT the absolute temps. Its the differences in materials in the same immediate area. This was a weapon that causes electrical condition. Think infrared lasers or high powered microwave guns (but longer wavelength than a microwave).

Add a steady wind to a fire and the temps get up there pretty fast. Black smiths work with fires in their shops that range from 2500-4000 degrees.

Sure, but you need some degree of control to achieve that. Also the hub and spokes of the rim would have melted or at least deformed, even if they hit the perfect temp for a short period and the disc acted as a heat sink to save the hub and spokes... not likely, hell probably not possible.

Its NOT the absolute temps. Its the differences in materials in the same immediate area. This was a weapon that causes electrical condition. Think infrared lasers or high powered microwave guns (but longer wavelength than a microwave).

Yes that's my point, you couldn't do that with fire in the open.

Yeah, still doesn't look right to me, that car parked one spot down should be more damaged if it hit 900c just a couple of meters away. The parking garage roof damage also seems to stop at a point that I'd need an explanation for. Also, it's a car park, that was lightly wooded on the periphery, how is there enough fuel there to achieve that?

It looks like the brake drum and axle dampened a vibration enough that the hub and spokes didn't heat to the same level, instead they sheared off.

Actually you can go back to the War of Northern Aggression. This nonsense in Ukraine is important lots of other things are too but open borders is one of if not the biggest problem. Europe will become unrecognizable and the US will become that too.

Somebody wants to end up in control of the "food bowl of Europe" and I'm not sure that it is Vlad... I suspect they paid the Biden's for advice on the matter.

These people are capable of anything.

The f'ing world is losing its mind. It's like all the Hollywood movies and computer games have finally altered what people think is possible or real. The whole thing is turning into some sort of twisted fantasy divorced from reality yet somehow still lethal if you are unlucky or inconvenient.

Believe it or not, there was a huge forest fire in and around Gold Hill, Colorado about 10 years back.

Aluminum ladders, aluminum engine blocks, aluminum wheels melted into pools, or 'artistic' shapes when cool.

Fires create their own weather and that means big winds that fan the flames like a blowtorch.

Notice only the thinner edges of the wheel melted? Center mass was too great to do the job.

It's not impossible for weird stuff to happen.

Notice only the thinner edges of the wheel melted?

Yeah, but the spokes are about the thinnest point, the flat in the middle typically has little meat, they are a U shape if you look from behind. + Half the spoke melted and jagged edges shouldn't happen if it was melted away. I'd also expect blackened nuts and a dirtier surface from a natural fire.

Someone tell me WTF was actually on fire as well, it's in a car park, not parked in a densely wooded bush lot with a ton of fuel.

It's not impossible for weird stuff to happen.

True, but it needs a damn plausible explanation. I doubt you could recreate this with a stack of fuel and industrial fans! Put a wreck in a bonfire, right in the middle and stick a bunch of fans on the fire and I don't think that the result would look like that.

DXY Weekly again... Just looks like a near term downturn is in play. No new higher high, double top looking, if we get a lower low next the trend down is still in play. The $64Q is bottoming or continuation...

DXY_2023-08-28_08-33-17.png

The f'ing world is losing its mind. It's like all the Hollywood movies and computer games have finally altered what people think is possible or real. The whole thing is turning into some sort of twisted fantasy divorced from reality yet somehow still lethal if you are unlucky or inconvenient.
Yep, makes me want to go off into the woods someplace and forget it all. Maybe join a tribe in Brazil or something.

Yep, makes me want to go off into the woods someplace and forget it all. Maybe join a tribe in Brazil or something.

Yup... You can see a Dark Age in the making, trust is failing, people are pulling back from the politicisation of everything, losing faith in governance and science in the process. I understand why, but it is a tragedy nonetheless.

He's split his bets a bit with the DXY down Gold down thing, pretty good odds one will be right in the short term, knee-jerk reactions will ensure that for some period. Certainly enough time to make a revised video!

My main issue with the "triple top" is that these topping patterns should be confirmed by increased selling off the tops as people rush into sell or short the obviously overbought instrument.

GC1!_2023-08-28_16-02-12.png

@ every top, we have decreasing volume off the top. Save for maybe the second one which had small run-ups but was broadly flat. On Balance, Volume was flat for the first two and has risen for the last one. This isn't what I'd expect to see if this was a genuine triple top situation.

Whatever it is, it isn't a classic triple top, however this being gold you can't discount a chart paint and smash operation! Steve might just be on the email list, after all, he has called 50 of the last 10 gold tops!

He's split his bets a bit with the DXY down Gold down thing, pretty good odds one will be right in the short term, knee-jerk reactions will ensure that for some period. Certainly enough time to make a revised video!
I was thinking about buying some GDX tomorrow so the chances of me being wrong are pretty high. I'll look at puts on GLD instead I guess.
This has been a difficult market all year for me. Guess I should have just bought a few of the high flyers and sat back and collected my payday.

Miners I am holding forever I guess. Someday they might perform. Only other position I cant decide on is MELI. I'm long rn but thinking bout going short which means it will probably go higher and I should hold. LOL.

Last edited:
Seasonality for September sucks for the last 5 years...

1693204932042.png

If we go back to the last major bull run period, 2000 to 2011 it was MUCH better in September.

1693205087483.png

Gold COT positioning looks similar, as it has on some significant lows.

1693204814062.png

Over the longer run Gold looks closer to disinterest lows that it does to overdone highs in terms of trader positioning.

1693205252639.png

If we get wrung out in September, I think I will be calling bullish into year-end. There is a little juice here, and I guess we could see it squeezed out of the market 1870s maybe? I wouldn't bank on more than that. After that, it's 1812, which would be a gift IMO.

DXY Weekly again... Just looks like a near term downturn is in play. No new higher high, double top looking, if we get a lower low next the trend down is still in play. The $64Q is bottoming or continuation...

View attachment 10094
Like many have said even if the $ can rally it doesn't mean the metals can't. I think as long as they can keep the DX from staying under 100 it won't fall apart.

They could get away with the grass theory causing the fire.

I dunno... looking through pictures from Aussie fires I can see similar, but there is plenty of this...

gettyimages-1192541645-1024x1024.jpg25255980-8049875-image-a-6_1582776654642.jpg0647681500.jpg

Then there is this... more what I'd expect...

8qkjiwa1to841.png

Then there are some shots similar to the Lahaina fire shots...

What is to say how that happened?

Last edited:
Chat GPT on rims in fires...

Can a wildfire melt aluminium car rims?

Yes, under certain conditions, a wildfire can generate enough heat to melt aluminum car rims. Aluminum has a melting point of approximately 660 degrees Celsius (1220 degrees Fahrenheit), while wildfires can reach temperatures well above this point.

Wildfires are extremely intense and can produce temperatures that exceed 1,000 degrees Celsius (1,800 degrees Fahrenheit). The combination of intense heat, flames, and the combustion of various materials can create an environment where aluminum rims on a car could potentially melt or become severely deformed.

However, it's important to note that whether aluminum rims would melt in a wildfire depends on several factors, including the distance from the fire, the specific conditions of the fire (such as the type of vegetation and fuel burning), and the materials around the rims that could influence heat transfer. In many cases, tires, rubber components, and other parts of the car might ignite or burn before the aluminum rims reach their melting point.

If you're in an area prone to wildfires, it's recommended to follow evacuation orders and prioritize safety over the protection of material possessions.

Why don't the centre of the rims melt?

The center of the rims, often referred to as the hub or hubcap area, is generally less likely to melt during a wildfire compared to the outer rim. There are a few reasons for this:
  1. Heat Dissipation: The center of the rims is usually closer to the wheel hub, which is connected to the car's axle and brake components. These components are generally made of steel and other materials with higher melting points than aluminum. The metal hub acts as a heat sink, dissipating some of the heat generated by the fire and protecting the center of the rim.
  2. Heat Distribution: The heat generated by a wildfire is not evenly distributed across the entire rim. The outer edges of the rim, where the tire is mounted, are more exposed to direct flames and radiant heat from the fire. The center of the rim is shielded to some extent by the tire itself and other parts of the car.
  3. Thermal Conductivity: Aluminum is a good conductor of heat, which means it can quickly transfer heat across its surface. However, the process of heat conduction takes time, and during a rapidly spreading wildfire, the heat might not have enough time to conduct deep into the center of the rim before other factors come into play.
  4. Mass and Thickness: The outer rim has less mass and thickness compared to the center of the rim. Thicker sections of metal take longer to heat up and melt, and the center of the rim is often thicker due to structural considerations.
  5. Shielding Effects: Other parts of the car, such as the brake components, suspension, and wheel hub, can act as a barrier between the center of the rim and the direct heat of the wildfire. These parts can provide some level of protection against extreme temperatures.
However, it's important to note that in extremely intense wildfire conditions, there's no absolute guarantee that any specific part of a car will remain untouched. Wildfires can produce erratic and unpredictable fire behavior, and under the right circumstances, even the center of aluminum rims could be affected. If you're faced with a wildfire situation, the priority should be your safety and the safety of those around you.

Why do the remains of the rim have a sheared or broken look? Why are the remaining surfaces not smooth?

The sheared or broken appearance of the remains of an aluminum rim after exposure to extreme heat, such as in a wildfire, is a result of various factors related to the material properties of aluminum, the effects of heat, and the mechanical stresses generated during the fire. Here's why the remaining surfaces are not smooth:
  1. Thermal Expansion and Contraction: Aluminum, like all materials, expands when heated and contracts when cooled. During a wildfire, the rim can be exposed to rapid and uneven heating. This can cause different parts of the rim to expand at different rates, creating internal stresses within the material.
  2. Heat Weakening: As the rim heats up, its mechanical properties change. Aluminum becomes softer and weaker at elevated temperatures, making it more susceptible to deformation and breaking under stress.
  3. Uneven Heating: In a wildfire, flames and heat might not be evenly distributed across the rim's surface. This can lead to localized hotspots where the aluminum softens and weakens more quickly than in other areas.
  4. Mechanical Stress: The heating and cooling cycles during a wildfire can create thermal stress and differential expansion within the material. This can lead to cracking, warping, and distortion as the rim tries to accommodate the changes in temperature and shape.
  5. Vibration and Movement: During a fire, there can be movement and shifting of the car as the tires lose pressure or as the vehicle experiences structural changes due to the extreme heat. This movement, combined with the softened aluminum, can lead to mechanical forces that cause the rim to fracture, shear, or break apart.
  6. Interaction with Other Materials: The rims are not the only component affected by the fire. The rubber from the tires, paint, and other materials on or near the rims can burn or combust, generating additional heat and potentially contributing to the deformation and fracturing of the rims.
All these factors combined can result in the jagged, sheared, or broken appearance of the remaining surfaces of the aluminum rim. The intense heat, thermal stresses, mechanical forces, and interaction with other materials during a wildfire create a complex and dynamic environment that leads to the observed patterns of deformation and damage.

There are some people who think they can control the weather to the point they can make a hurricane miss a city controlled by the Democrats.

Back
Top Bottom